• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone run a kenwood hybrid?

reddog45

Jun 13, 2011
I was wanting to get some info from a hybrid user. Wandering what S meter reading you have when the rf gain is at 12:00 with no signal. I think my S meter is way off. Not that it matters that much. Just want to be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

45, North Florida

The only time an S meter can be relied on for anything is when the RF gain is completely clockwise. There is no standardization, and even two of the same model radio coming off the assembly line might show significant differences, depending on component tolerance variations and such.

Radios from the 1950s and earlier didn't even HAVE S meters. If a station was loud (in your opinion), you might give him an S8 or S9. Barely readable might be S2 or S3.

S meter action is different on different bands, too. Don't worry about the difference between readings.

Yea I agree with you beetle. I was just wanting to compare because while turning the rf gain back the S meter rises, as also while adjusting the S meter pot inside the radio while rf gain is at half way. Just wondering for a reference point. Thanks!

45, North Florida

The S Meter is supposed to rise as you lower the RF Gain. That is common to all rigs.
If you have been messing with the adjustment pot for it, I suggest you download the Service Manual for it and set it up right. Doing a Google Search you should be able to find the manuals for all of the Kenwood hybrids. Even the owner's manual for your particular rig should give the adjustment procedure for the S Meter.
trucker

Trucker hit it on the nail head.

If it is a TS-820.

The TS-820 owners manual and service manual is available for free downloads, just search for it. I can not remember where I found it at.

I believe the TS-820 you can use the internal signal for alignment, and S meter calibration. Maybe not been few years since I aligned mine, found it in the garbage. Best piece of garbage I ever picked up.

If not then just use another rig find a good solid signal and adjust accordingly to match the reference rig.

Maybe DK MODS site has the manual, need to register but it is free or used to be anyway.

Great rigs, fantastic transmit audio, decent receive.

CK has one also and he may be able to chime in for some input when he has time.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks guys. I have the service manual but it calls for an input signal and I'm having trouble finding a signal generator around here.

45, North Florida

FWIW my TS-820S shows an S-meter reading of 7 1/2 S-units when the RF gain is at exactly 12 0'clock with no signal present. You can always turn the marker generator on if you want a signal. Switch the function switch to the 25 KHz position and you will have a signal every 25 Khz across the band.

Thanks ck. mine shows 9 at halfway. I guess I will leave it for now. I know it is just for a relative reading most of the time. I guess I'm just being too picky.

45, North Florida

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.