• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone try a bazooka or dipole antenna for SSB use?

Apr 21, 2005
PA
I wanted to know has anyone tried this Bazooka antenna similar to a dipole. They seem like it would be somewhat easy to build...I bought mine from ebay from this sight...RadioWavz company.. I read some reviews good and bad...and decided to give it a try for something different and low profile then my I-MAX200. The price was cheap less then $30.00. When my antenna arrived in the mail it had a SWR of 2.5 on 38 lsb.....I checked with a ham friend of mine and he said that they come "broad banded" and I need to tune this for my favorite SSB channel. He did some calculations for my favorite SSB channel and instructed me to trim some wire off each side. evenly untill my SWR's came down. I decided to tune it for 27.4750mhz... and the swr's are 1.3 now with Awesome performance on TX and RX!! I have not tried to run major power thru it only about 75 watts...but, I have no more complaints from my neighbors with wattage compared to my I-max. You can string it up with nylon or fishing line and mount it horizontal or vertical alongwith inverted V style..So far I enjoy this antenna alot. Just wanted to know if any other club members have any feedback or comments w/this antenna?

SilverBullet,
Before getting to enthusiastic about a bazooka, you might want to read about them in the ARRL's Antenna Compendium (think it's vol.-2 or 3?). They work, I'm not denying that, but there is a 'catch' to it. The further they get from the resonance frequency, the less efficient they are. The SWR stays about the same, but radiation does drop off. Rather than try to remember and print the reason for it here, read the ARRL's information about it. Does a much better job of explaining than I do.
You'll also see that there are several different kinds of bazooka antennas. Deals mainly with how it's fed, but gets sort of 'clumsy' cuz it gets heavier.
Also, if you want to retune the bazooka it isn't as simple as trimming length off both ends. The shorting point also has to be moved further to the center (about the same amount as is trimmed off the ends, but not exactly). The ARRL's information also tells you how the shorting point is determined (has to do with the velocity factor of the coax used to make the antenna). It's well worth the trouble of finding...
- 'Doc

Thanks.....I'll check on that article w/arrl....I'm interested in learning more about antennas both vertical and beams alongwith wire dipoles and frequenciey transmission...
I know it's a lot of physics and formula involved with this stuff and tons of good books that have been done on antennas. It seems like this subject could go over my head really fast not understanding how it works. Anyway it's fun to try new items and equipment in the radio hobby and expierment....that's what it's all about huh..? Thanks for the heads up Doc.... I'll check out more info...on this subject for sure!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1