• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use an artificial ground?

Keith Thompson

AC1EG, Guns & Radios, Icom IC-7300, Yaesu FT-60R
Dec 27, 2017
Southern Maine
My shack is in a second-floor room and a member of my radio club suggested I try an artificial ground to possibly improve my signal by giving my radio something to "push against" electrically. The AG, an MFJ model, arrived this week. It appears that grounds are connected in series from radio to tuner to AG and then a random wire counterpoise is strung from the counterpoise post. I was thinking of running the counterpoise out the window and along the clapboards for about 30' or so to the end of the house.

Anyone see a problem with doing it this way? Anyone using an AG?

i use one the mfj works great. if you dont ground it you get bit by electricity.
after getting bit a few times i got the a.g

You need to have good station ground for your protection and it also reduces noise.
My shack is on the second floor as well. I used the larger gauge of bare ground wire and ran it out the shortest route of the house and straight down to an eight foot long ground rod hammered down to where only 5 inches of the rod were above ground. Do not use any solder connections to make splices. Use a Terminal strips made for electrical house wiring and tighten to proper tightness.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated