1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use an artificial ground?

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Keith Thompson, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson AC1EG, Guns & Radios, Icom IC-7300, Yaesu FT-60R

My shack is in a second-floor room and a member of my radio club suggested I try an artificial ground to possibly improve my signal by giving my radio something to "push against" electrically. The AG, an MFJ model, arrived this week. It appears that grounds are connected in series from radio to tuner to AG and then a random wire counterpoise is strung from the counterpoise post. I was thinking of running the counterpoise out the window and along the clapboards for about 30' or so to the end of the house.

Anyone see a problem with doing it this way? Anyone using an AG?

2. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

i use one the mfj works great. if you dont ground it you get bit by electricity.
    after getting bit a few times i got the a.g

3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

You need to have good station ground for your protection and it also reduces noise.
    My shack is on the second floor as well. I used the larger gauge of bare ground wire and ran it out the shortest route of the house and straight down to an eight foot long ground rod hammered down to where only 5 inches of the rod were above ground. Do not use any solder connections to make splices. Use a Terminal strips made for electrical house wiring and tighten to proper tightness.

#3 Tallman, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018