• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone using WSPR

Onthecoast

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 13, 2012
I just started using WSPR last night. By the time I got it up and running, the band had died but still was able to get some signal out and get noticed. I'll be running it today to see what kind of shape the band is in. Last night there was actually a good bit of traffic into the evening until about 10pm local time (South MS).

For those of you that don't know what WSPR is, it is a low power propagation reporter. It sends signals from your transceiver and looks for signals from others and can upload both to their propagation map to see what the band is doing. I'm active on 10 right now

WSPRnet | Weak Signal Propagation Reporter Network

I've used it a bunch, but haven't fired it up in a while. It is really neat to see what kind of contacts you can get at such low power levels. I've let WSPR run all day while at work and watching the contacts pile up on the website. It's pretty cool!

I think I will start using it more to see what is going on with 10 meters. That will allow me to figure out if I want to get on the radio in the evening. What has been interesting to me is even though the band has been pretty dead for the last couple of days, I've seen some propagation in the US in the middle of the night. I found that interesting. I've going to run it for awhile on 500mW and see what happens. I've been running 1 and 5 watts and haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how this all works, but it has been interesting so far.

10 has been pretty bad lately. A few spots here and there but not really open much. I've been receiving on 20 and 30 and it seems to be picking up well.

WSPR doesn't care ;)

actually it does,....... I keep the RX sig about 0 - 10 dBM via my sound card settings. their AM and roger beeps drives my RX signal from about 0dBM to about +40 dBM and "swamps" the input.

last 3 days @ 5 watts or less, I have heard and been heard by numerous Vk and ZL stations from the mid U. S.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.