• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone want to try some 2m SSB tonight?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Anyone want to try some 2m SSB tonight? 144.230 USB

I realize it's unlikely that anyone will make contact, but HEY, you never know

I'll be listening

---------

update: 03/17/2013 - 11:21am Central - ok lets give it a try again today (03/17/2013) on 144.200

Last edited:

Woulda loved to try but 1st, fn30 to the midwest on 2m ssb in march? Not with my hundred watts on stacked square loops. Plus its 230am & i've been here at work since 1pm saturday afternoon :(

don't know what part of the "midwest" you are located in.

you might have better action down 30 Kc, 144.200,

also in the west TN , AL, MS ,AR, ect area there are many using 144.190

Last edited:
nada...nada friggen peep. however probably within the next 8 weeks or so the possibilities should begin to increase. hmmmm....gotta get something directional back up for 6m, now THAT will get you some contacts.

Just curious, what kind of range can you expect with 2m SSB? 2m FM is line of sight, but how much of an improvement do you get with the other mode?

i use 2 ku4ab squalo's stacked at about 28' to the feed with a stock ic746pro. very rarely do i hear any 2m ssb stations NOT using some sort of directional antenna, so i am usually able to get into the 50 mile range fairly easily. larger beams on the other end have netted me closer to 120 miles out. 'aided' propagation (other then e skip) can reach out over 200 miles-occasionally. once i get my 7 el back in shape, i should be able to easily add 50-75% more distance.

I have had a few locals tell me they have made contacts of close to 150 miles on ssb with just a modest beam at about 50 feet ......Maybe one of these days I will get my hands on a 2 meter all mode rig and give it a try

I have had a few locals tell me they have made contacts of close to 150 miles on ssb with just a modest beam at about 50 feet ......Maybe one of these days I will get my hands on a 2 meter all mode rig and give it a try

absolutely, beam to beam, but i'm not using a beam at the moment. also compare your em62 to my fn30. i've got tall buildings to my west :) very tall buildings, to my north & northwest, a lot of the bigger big guns are obstructed by some hills....the catskills, the berkshires & the adirondacks. getting across the water to the north is no problem, it's those darned hills that impede my northern path. southwest across the water is easy too, but eventually i run out of 2m SSBers.....;)

I have one for sale, and for the right price I will hand deliver it to you as we live like 1.5 hours from each other

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.