• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 5555n wattage

darklife

Modulating Madness
Apr 8, 2013
US
www.darkliferadio.proboards.com
I can't help but think when I look at my radio and the meter can measure up to 80+ watts yet the PEP of SSB is 30 almost
right to the exact number when testing on my scope and proper watt meter into a dummy load.
I've seen a few people on youtube that have the same radio and somehow are pushing 40-50 out of it so I can't help
but be curious how that is?
My only guess is that their radios are measuring some reflected power considering my SWR is barely measurable on the rig,
Anyway so I was wondering if anyone has tried some "upgrades" to these radios and what they are capable of without
blowing up after talking through one for more than 20 seconds.
Of course antennas are most important for communication distance but these guys I've been seeing lately either
adjusted their meter calibration to show higher power or have a trick up their sleeve.

A great many so-called "passive" peak-reading meters will read higher on AM than on sideband, even when a 'scope display shows the actual peaks to be more or less equal.

Turning up the AM modulation limit will increase the radio's peak power. Not a good idea for SSB. AM audio quality will tolerate some measure of overmodulation before it sounds bad. An overdriven sideband signal doesn't get "loud", it just gets muddy. And there is the risk of overheating the final transistor.

But that's the tossup. Is it the radio? Or is it the wattmeter?

Or is it both?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.