• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 6666 on FM

nicky

May 9, 2018
I know I can run the AT6666 on SSB with my KL203P by turning the Output power down but didn't know if it turns the power down on FM. I sure don't want to blow my amp!

Wow! I wouldn't even consider a 203 behind a 6666! Too much swing even with the power turned down. FM is hard on finals if you're not set up right. I just made my first FM contact from Ohio to Arizona mobile with just 50 watts. A 6666 will do that without any help. It’s you're stuff, do as you wish!

JD

Right, wrong or otherwise I turn power down on FM to 50% or less of PEP on SSB and run there as FM is 100% duty cycle, the highest duty cycle you will get on SSB is 40%. I haven't burnt anything up yet and I can get long winded. My quad 6 use to get very warm on FM before it was tuned and a fan installed, now it barely gets warm. Like others have said, the quad 6 is waaayyy to much radio for the 203.

I haven't hooked it up yet. I was hesitant about doing it. A good friend of mine thought it would be ok with the power turned down and it's not that I don't believe him. I was kinda waiting if anyone else has done it. Thank all for the replies.

Right, wrong or otherwise I turn power down on FM to 50% or less of PEP on SSB and run there as FM is 100% duty cycle, the highest duty cycle you will get on SSB is 40%. I haven't burnt anything up yet and I can get long winded. My quad 6 use to get very warm on FM before it was tuned and a fan installed, now it barely gets warm. Like others have said, the quad 6 is waaayyy to much radio for the 203.
Mine is stock and I put a little 12V computer fan behind the heat sink on the radio.
A watt meter is your friend when determining drive levels..
A WATT/SWR meter is on my Christmas list.

How do the Anytones sound on FM? I have heard that at least 7 khz bandwidth is needed for good FM audio. I have had other radios with FM in the past but none really were any good sounding so everyone would just stay on AM because it sounded best of the two. What if you could sound like your favorite FM broadcast station? Someone will figure that one out.

How do the Anytones sound on FM? I have heard that at least 7 khz bandwidth is needed for good FM audio. I have had other radios with FM in the past but none really were any good sounding so everyone would just stay on AM because it sounded best of the two. What if you could sound like your favorite FM broadcast station? Someone will figure that one out.
We have a local group and two of us have a couple of Anytone radios in our arsenal, and they sound great on FM.
I was on FM today talking dx to several guys in Canada and the Washington area on the at6666, then switched to the Q5 for a while. I will say, FM is hard on the finals and the radio will heat up, so I normally rotate frequently. I think FM is perfect for local talk. Turn the power down to around 6 watts and easily talk across the city, and it runs cooler. Love the sound quality!!

But no, I wouldn't dare run the at6666 on the kl203!! Too much swing!

We have a local group and two of us have a couple of Anytone radios in our arsenal, and they sound great on FM.
I was on FM today talking dx to several guys in Canada and the Washington area on the at6666, then switched to the Q5 for a while. I will say, FM is hard on the finals and the radio will heat up, so I normally rotate frequently. I think FM is perfect for local talk. Turn the power down to around 6 watts and easily talk across the city, and it runs cooler. Love the sound quality!!

What frequencies are you hearing FM on?

Just to clarify this for everyone's sake, FM mode has NO SWING - it is a constant power carrier. FM is fine with a 203P when the power is turned down (must be well under 10 watts - and you MUST have an accurate power meter to do this). AM (and SSB) modes on the other hand, need to be checked on an accurate Peak Power meter to ensure low PEAK POWER readings, because AM (and SSB) PEAK POWER (a.k.a SWING) is very often far higher than you expect! And far to much for a 203P.

Also, FWIW, and as everyone here has said to the original poster @nicky already, there is absolutely NO reason to use a 203P on a 6666. It's pointless. The power out barefoot is so close to that of a 203P anyway, and your signal WILL be a lot cleaner without the 203P!

Last edited:
Just to clarify this for everyone's sake, FM mode has NO SWING - it is a constant power carrier. FM is fine with a 203P when the power is turned down (must be under 10 watts - and you MUST have an accurate power meter to do this). AM mode on the other hand, needs to be checked on an accurate Peak Power meter to ensure low PEAK power readings, because AM swing is very often far higher than you expect!

Also, FWIW, and as everyone here has said to the original poster @nicky already, there is absolutely NO reason to use a 203P on a 6666. It's pointless. The power out barefoot is so close to that of a 203P anyway, and your signal WILL be a lot cleaner without the 203P!

Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. There were two items of issue, which is how I read it.
I believe most of us know there is no swing on FM

#1 in regards to using the 203 with AM power turned down on the 6666.
#2 Using 6666 in FM with the 203.
I believe both are bad ideas. And of course, this is just my opinion. :)
And you are right, it is pointless to run the 203 on this radio.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.