• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 6666 won't work with realistic desk Power Mic - why ???

moonrakercat

Jan 19, 2024
Hi Guys - I'm new here - so please be kind. Looking for some help.

When I hook my old realistic square base power mic - the one with the vertical neck slider - goes from 0-5 up to my quad 6 I can talk fine for 15-20 seconds then the modulation slowly drops to nothing - really weird. I have to disconnect the mic and remove the batteries - then I can re hook it up & same thing happens again. Been told the mic sounds really nice - so I'd like to use it.

Tried the realistic mic on a uniden 980 - it works perfectly. I've tried other mics - d104 & turner +2 and I'm currently using a turner +3 - they all work fine on my quad 6. Mind you the +2 and 104 sound way too sharp.

I know the 5555N 2 has an option of the electret or dynamic mic - but not the quad 6. I've had a friend try the realistic power mic with the 5555n2 and it works fine with them.

Anyone know what the problem might be ? I'm using a uniden 4 pin adapter cable between the mic & the radio - it works fine for the other above mics - so I don't think that's the problem.

I've a friend which says the 5555n2 is heads & tails better than the quad 6 - so maybe I should just upgrade.

These newer radios often have protection circuits of various kinds. I'm guessing either the mic output is way to hot for the radio, and it's shutting down its audio input to protect itself. Or, there is voltage that shouldn't be there on the audio line (due to funky mic wiring) and the radio is protecting itself from that.

Not sure about the 5555n2, but my 6666 has SWR, over and under voltage, and reverse polarity protection, and there may be other protection circuits too.......

Could be a simple mic wiring issue too

This was pulled from @Dr_DX post on wiring a Mic for the AT 6666.
Go read this thread

To use a mic with a dynamic element, just put a 104 blocking cap in audio line to keep the 5v off of the dynamic element.

For power mics, you may also want to run a 104 blocking cap in the audio line to keep the 5v out of the mic's amplifier circuit.

Willing to bet that is what is causing you grief.

Jeff

This was pulled from @Dr_DX post on wiring a Mic for the AT 6666.
Go read this thread

To use a mic with a dynamic element, just put a 104 blocking cap in audio line to keep the 5v off of the dynamic element.

For power mics, you may also want to run a 104 blocking cap in the audio line to keep the 5v out of the mic's amplifier circuit.

Willing to bet that is what is causing you grief.

Jeff
I will try that - I was thinking I need a cap somewhere ....thanks Jeff !

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Your welcome, credit goes to Dr Dx for the writeup.

Jeff
Well credit to you Jeff and Dr Dx - that was the problem - the mic works fine now - 104 cap in series with the white wire - Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy !!

The mic definitely sounds more bassy than my turner +3 - so better - but the realistic does not have as strong as modulation as the turner - the turner works off a 9v and the realistic off 2 x AA batteries - I wonder if i put another AA battery in it if it will bump the mod up a bit ?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well credit to you Jeff and Dr Dx - that was the problem - the mic works fine now - 104 cap in series with the white wire - Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy !!

The mic definitely sounds more bassy than my turner +3 - so better - but the realistic does not have as strong as modulation as the turner - the turner works off a 9v and the realistic off 2 x AA batteries - I wonder if i put another AA battery in it if it will bump the mod up a bit ?

You should be ok with just one more 1.5v battery, but I wouldn't recommend any more than that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.