• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

The Service Menu access sure would be nice to know if someone knows how to access it.
My radio isn't prefect and could use some tweaking.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a ridiculous S-meter that virtually hangs in the middle on SSB (probably AM too but I never checked) and only move when some stronger signal comes in to move it higher for a brief moment then back to stuck in the middle. This is driving me crazy! All my Anytones needed this adjust as they always show too high with full RF gain. Usually, around S-5 for my AT-6666, AT-5555N and AT-5555N II but I was able to adjust it so the read normal now like my friends Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu read. But this one is the worst of the bunch. The BFO could be adjusted too as it is very slightly off frequency. And the TX audio on SSB is pretty awful sounding. AM sounds pretty good though. No mic gain or power adjustment helps with this problem. It is very distorted and crunchy sounding. I'm not a fan of this new board they are using in the new radios. My AT-5555N II did this as well, but I was able to adjust it in the service menu to sound so much better. Of course, not as good as the Strkyer 955 V1 or the AT-6666 or the AT-5555N (V1). But the AT-5555N II is now adjust good enough to use and be happy with. The Ares II is another story. I sure hope someone figures out and show us how to access the service menu to make this radio work better. This might be my favorite radio of all if I can adjust and fix those issues. Till then, it will be sitting on the shelf. Bummer.

Why no need for a little extra knowledge that you can share with another who may not be as fortunate as yourself to have a source of info that they do not like myself.
What?
Fortunate to have a source? I don't believe I said anything about having a source. I do, on occasion pay a technician for services, and I'm fortunate this doesn't happen too often. I also purchase radios and equipment from someone who is very well educated on setting up the new equipment. It costs a little extra but well worth it. But if you think I know something and I'm not sharing, I'm not sure where you got that idea? I tinker a little with some of my radios, but I'm not a tech and the last thing I want to do is brick a radio because I'm into something I know nothing about.
But to directly answer your question. No, I don't know how to get into the "secret menu".

In this video, he goes into the service menu from the buttons on the front of the radio. He is able to adjust the frequency, but doesn't show how to do it. But if you listen carefully, you can hear him do it. If we can figure out what the buttons and switches sound like, we might have something.....

Click the link to go to YouTube and watch it.

In this video, he goes into the service menu from the buttons on the front of the radio. He is able to adjust the frequency, but doesn't show how to do it. But if you listen carefully, you can hear him do it. If we can figure out what the buttons and switches sound like, we might have something.....

Click the link to go to YouTube and watch it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to watch a few video to see if he slips up and reveals something, but no luck yet. I'm sure it has to do with the mic buttons/PTT in combination of the buttons on the radio. I got my radio to display 88 but can't seem to find the next step to open it up in the service menu. I will keep trying to play with many different combination and I hope to find it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It wasn't too long ago I was watching one of Mike's videos, while he was tuning up an Ares2. He was talking about the radio manufacturers giving him the info needed to get into the service menu. He said they gave it to him, asking that he us it as needed and to keep this info to himself. He's a stand up guy and he said that he intends to do just that. This is how you earn trust with both the manufacturers and your clients.
Oh, I know that some day this info will get leaked into the wild by someone and the bricked radios will start stacking up, and it will all be blamed on the "manufacturers" for putting out poor quality radios, and not the ones who just can't help themselves.

I would like to add. Yes, when I was young I bricked a few radios and it cost me. It doesn't matter to me if someone trashes their radio or not. It's their radio and they can do whatever they want with it. Just don't start blaming the manufacturers for your shortcomings.

As for the S meter, I actually have a fix for it. Don't look at it. Enjoy your radio and forget about where that little needle is. Have fun with your radio!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to watch a few video to see if he slips up and reveals something, but no luck yet. I'm sure it has to do with the mic buttons/PTT in combination of the buttons on the radio. I got my radio to display 88 but can't seem to find the next step to open it up in the service menu. I will keep trying to play with many different combination and I hope to find it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
It is a front panel switch/mic button combo, that I have not been able to crack...yet. I know the Superstar 3900 2023 service menu and I am guessing it will be similar, but so far, no luck!

It is a front panel switch/mic button combo, that I have not been able to crack...yet. I know the Superstar 3900 2023 service menu and I am guessing it will be similar, but so far, no luck!
Thanks for the response. OK. I will keep playing with many combinations till my head spins and then quit till the next day. Someday, we will all know. I'm just afraid that I might crack it and then won't even know what I did to get there; Hahaha Thanks again.

I have also seen the 88, but there seems to be no way to get past it like maybe it is just to test the display. I suspect that some of the switches on the radio need to be in certain positions to start with, maybe. I thought about making a spreadsheet to keep track, so I don't try the same things over again. And maybe make a video so I don't forget what I just did when it works.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.