• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

No mystery, pay someone to do it. Ask Panic attack to do it he's on FB, Ask Tim Chambers at Tiny Tim's Check Google search. I'm sure they could do it ya. They are trust worthy folks. I know we all want to save some $$, I love saving myself. I was dirt poor for most of my life. Im not now, Dirt poor anyway! Im the guy that is I want a stryker I'll get with D-Rail, If I want amp work I call BBi, Antennas Dan at Coily, or Tom at Zero5. I could go on and on like Moding power supplies. CB stands for Constant Buying. I love to help a new guy out and have done so many times but I would get in someone's else's Lane. Also not to be left out MMM does a awesome HiFi setup. Just be glad your alive in these times of CB and there circuitry truly becoming what it is. Long gone are the days of turning VR4 wide open and tuning the L pots for the best output. Have a Great day everyone, I dont mean to hurt feelings But very few things are free. Friendship is one and your Word should be the other. I dont voice much but when I do its my feelings, Dirty Ole Man in Oregon.
You can pay whoever you want. I am not going to.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
You can pay whoever you want. I am not going to.
And I'm the kinda guy that knows if you want it done right, I'll have to do it myself. So no, I won't be hiring someone cause I'm very particular on how things are adjusted/setup. So I be waiting for the leak as long as it takes. And if it never does, no biggie as I have plenty of other radios to use.

And I'm the kinda guy that knows if you want it done right, I'll have to do it myself. So no, I won't be hiring someone cause I'm very particular on how things are adjusted/setup. So I be waiting for the leak as long as it takes. And if it never does, no biggie as I have plenty of other radios to use.
It has been leaked in another thread, however, the 2 character abbreviated service menu parameters were not. I may have seen them for the Superstar 3900 2023, but I can't find them now. If someone has the service menu table channel map, that could post it, would be greatly appreciated.

This is my edited procedure.

Set NB/ANL to ANL, all other switches in upper position.

Hold PTT and DN, while powering on the radio.

Move NRC once to SET and quickly back to off.

Release PTT and DN.

Dsplay shows 8.8. then goes to 01.

Use CH SEL to change menu parameter. Hold PTT to view stored value. Use CH SEL to change value.

TX/RX LED will flash SLOW GREEN when in SVC MENU

Last edited:
It has been leaked in another thread, however, the 2 character abbreviated service menu parameters were not. I may have seen them for the Superstar 3900 2023, but I can't find them now. If someone has the service menu table channel map, that could post it, would be greatly appreciated.

This is my edited procedure.

Set NB/ANL to ANL, all other switches in upper position.

Hold PTT and DN, while powering on the radio.

Move NRC once to SET and quickly back to off.

Release PTT and DN.

Dsplay shows 8.8. then goes to 01.

Use CH SEL to change menu parameter. Hold PTT to view stored value. Use CH SEL to change value.
Yeah! Thank you so much for this. I'm happy. It worked.
Ok. Here is what I'm thinking. I have the 5555N VII and since it is the same manufacture, I believe it will be very similar in the parameters setting. I briefly went through it and it does look similar. If you don't have that info, letting me know and I will post it.
I will go through this thoroughly this evening and compare and get brave enough to adjust the few things that are out of wack on this radio. I will write all the factory setting first before adjusting anything.
Can't wait to get this thing finally dialed in.
Thanks again.
Rick

Yeah! Thank you so much for this. I'm happy. It worked.
Ok. Here is what I'm thinking. I have the 5555N VII and since it is the same manufacture, I believe it will be very similar in the parameters setting. I briefly went through it and it does look similar. If you don't have that info, letting me know and I will post it.
I will go through this thoroughly this evening and compare and get brave enough to adjust the few things that are out of wack on this radio. I will write all the factory setting first before adjusting anything.
Can't wait to get this thing finally dialed in.
Thanks again.
Rick
I have Q5N2 menu table, but there are things that are not the same. I suspect that the SS 3900 2023 will be close, but I can't seem to locate it now.

I have Q5N2 menu table, but there are things that are not the same. I suspect that the SS 3900 2023 will be close, but I can't seem to locate it now.
I got the radio on freq now and the Tx audio on SSB is a bit cleaner (it will never sound as good as a Stryker 955 version 1 or AT-6666, but it does sound better than the stock setting) and I got the S-Meter to work properly on SSB and AM. So no longer stuck at S-5 during receive, which drove me crazy! I didn't bother to adjust FM since I don't use it. I also widen the TX audio to 3.5 khz for SSB as it seems to sound better on TX. Not sure if I will keep it like that or not but I will try it for a few days and see. I may set it back to 2.8 khz. The radio sounds better for some reason with stock dynamic Stryker 955 mic. I might have a bad stock Anytone mic. This normally doesn't happen like this as the stock mic usually rocks, but I guess there is a first for everything.

Thanks again for this.
Have a great evening.
Rick

I got the radio on freq now and the Tx audio on SSB is a bit cleaner (it will never sound as good as a Stryker 955 version 1 or AT-6666, but it does sound better than the stock setting) and I got the S-Meter to work properly on SSB and AM. So no longer stuck at S-5 during receive, which drove me crazy! I didn't bother to adjust FM since I don't use it. I also widen the TX audio to 3.5 khz for SSB as it seems to sound better on TX. Not sure if I will keep it like that or not but I will try it for a few days and see. I may set it back to 2.8 khz. The radio sounds better for some reason with stock dynamic Stryker 955 mic. I might have a bad stock Anytone mic. This normally doesn't happen like this as the stock mic usually rocks, but I guess there is a first for everything.

Thanks again for this.
Have a great evening.
Rick
What menu table did you use?

I followed the 5555N II service menu and for the most part, almost line by line, they were the same. Just the 2 digit abbreviation don't look the same, of course. But it worked.
I only have the SS-7900V that someone non english speaking threw together. I need to locate the Q5N2 table.

I have the QT40 version that I bought about a month ago. I have been having fun with all the dx going on right now. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't a way to tell frequency or scan without the buttons on the mic.

It shouldn't be a problem and many here would appreciate it. I would like to put mine on frequency, it's just hard to know what is what.
Ok. Here is the 5555N II service menu parameters. This goes without saying, but you are doing this at your own risk. I’m not responsible to anything that happens to your radio by doing this. Please take note of all original setting from factory on a pad or paper before changing anything so you can put it back (hopefully). Be careful when attempting to adjust some of the parameters as some may need test equipment to obtain those numbers back. In other words, you might screw the radio up and not get it back.

All the ones I adjusted were easy to adjust without harm and able to go back by just turning the channel selector, except adjusting the S-meter. It will requires a signal generator to safely get it back to the original setting, but I knew I didn’t want that anyways. Every Anytone I ever used required the S-meter to be adjusted as they all come screwed up.

Here is the Service menu for both 5555N and the Ares II. All the original settings from my radios are list with the few of my adjustment numbers in ( XX ).

For some reason, the wide band TX sound good on the Ares II (FF) but I feel on the 5555N II it sounds better at (0000). It just has a little more punch in the audio. But on the Ares II, this really helps clean that crunchy and chopped up audio and sounds better. Try it out and see for yourself.

To fix the S-Meter reading, you will have to have a signal generator or make your own with another transceiver (which is what I did, since my signal generator died years ago). You will have to inject or dial down the signal as low as possible to adjust these low S units to favorable setting. You can also do it another way by listening to other stations on the air that come in weak and quickly turn the dial to hopefully get a number you want to try. It will constantly change up and down due to the signals present on the air. You will have to go back and forth, but you will get there also.

On the Ares II, the main number you want to adjust is S-5. It needs to go higher than the number you have from the factor. The higher the number, the greater signal strength needed to move it. It appears the factor has a lower threshold number which is why it stays there all day.

My numbers my not work for your radio, so you will have to play with it dozens of times to dial it in.

On the 5555N II, I didn’t have to mess with the R-5 setting, just the R1 and R3. But on the Ares II, I needed to do all three. I could probably dial it in better, but at the moment, it is good enough and way better than what the factory did. It drops down quickly once the signal is gone. It drops to just below the 1-S unit and hangs for a second and then drops completely if there is no other signal present. It is almost like this unit has a Peak S meter setting built in. I would like to shut it off if it does. But it is so nice to see the meter working like this versus the hang on S-5 all day long whether there is a signal or not. Why Anytone adjust radios like this is beyond me.

Oh, note that with band selector on ‘D’ and the switch on ‘L’, my radio automatically went to channel 20 (27.205) for the test frequency when in the service menu.

It will be on USB automatically when trying to adjust U1-UC S-meter.

My radio only needed 1 click to get it dialed in to be on frequency, as you can see on my chart. They are that close from the factory, but I’m very picky and wanted it dead on.

Also, when you try to clean the audio up, you see I turned down the SSB High output a bit. So now it only does about 20-25 watts PEP but it sounds cleaner. You would think that turning down the output from the outside of the radio would produce the same effect, but for some reason it doesn’t clean the audio as does when you adjust it in the service menu. I tried this but it stayed crunchy and choppy sounding no matter how low I turn the output down from the outside. Hence, you see that I did this to both of the radio and it really does make a difference if you care for a cleaner sounding audio. Take this bit info for what you will. There might be other parameter settings that will clean it up also or even better. Let me know if you find a better way to do this. But in the mean time, this setting that I have adjusted has greatly helped these radios out.

I’m much happier with the radio now and can start using it with a smile on my face.

Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck.

Rick
P.S. I hope I saved it as a file you can view.

Attachments

• Anytone 5555N V2 Service Menu A.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Anytone Ares II Service Menu A.txt
    777 bytes · Views: 85
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Ok. Here is the 5555N II service menu parameters. This goes without saying, but you are doing this at your own risk. I’m not responsible to anything that happens to your radio by doing this. Please take note of all original setting from factory on a pad or paper before changing anything so you can put it back (hopefully). Be careful when attempting to adjust some of the parameters as some may need test equipment to obtain those numbers back. In other words, you might screw the radio up and not get it back.

All the ones I adjusted were easy to adjust without harm and able to go back by just turning the channel selector, except adjusting the S-meter. It will requires a signal generator to safely get it back to the original setting, but I knew I didn’t want that anyways. Every Anytone I ever used required the S-meter to be adjusted as they all come screwed up.

Here is the Service menu for both 5555N and the Ares II. All the original settings from my radios are list with the few of my adjustment numbers in ( XX ).

For some reason, the wide band TX sound good on the Ares II (FF) but I feel on the 5555N II it sounds better at (0000). It just has a little more punch in the audio. But on the Ares II, this really helps clean that crunchy and chopped up audio and sounds better. Try it out and see for yourself.

To fix the S-Meter reading, you will have to have a signal generator or make your own with another transceiver (which is what I did, since my signal generator died years ago). You will have to inject or dial down the signal as low as possible to adjust these low S units to favorable setting. You can also do it another way by listening to other stations on the air that come in weak and quickly turn the dial to hopefully get a number you want to try. It will constantly change up and down due to the signals present on the air. You will have to go back and forth, but you will get there also.

On the Ares II, the main number you want to adjust is S-5. It needs to go higher than the number you have from the factor. The higher the number, the greater signal strength needed to move it. It appears the factor has a lower threshold number which is why it stays there all day.

My numbers my not work for your radio, so you will have to play with it dozens of times to dial it in.

On the 5555N II, I didn’t have to mess with the R-5 setting, just the R1 and R3. But on the Ares II, I needed to do all three. I could probably dial it in better, but at the moment, it is good enough and way better than what the factory did. It drops down quickly once the signal is gone. It drops to just below the 1-S unit and hangs for a second and then drops completely if there is no other signal present. It is almost like this unit has a Peak S meter setting built in. I would like to shut it off if it does. But it is so nice to see the meter working like this versus the hang on S-5 all day long whether there is a signal or not. Why Anytone adjust radios like this is beyond me.

Oh, note that with band selector on ‘D’ and the switch on ‘L’, my radio automatically went to channel 20 (27.205) for the test frequency when in the service menu.

It will be on USB automatically when trying to adjust U1-UC S-meter.

My radio only needed 1 click to get it dialed in to be on frequency, as you can see on my chart. They are that close from the factory, but I’m very picky and wanted it dead on.

Also, when you try to clean the audio up, you see I turned down the SSB High output a bit. So now it only does about 20-25 watts PEP but it sounds cleaner. You would think that turning down the output from the outside of the radio would produce the same effect, but for some reason it doesn’t clean the audio as does when you adjust it in the service menu. I tried this but it stayed crunchy and choppy sounding no matter how low I turn the output down from the outside. Hence, you see that I did this to both of the radio and it really does make a difference if you care for a cleaner sounding audio. Take this bit info for what you will. There might be other parameter settings that will clean it up also or even better. Let me know if you find a better way to do this. But in the mean time, this setting that I have adjusted has greatly helped these radios out.

I’m much happier with the radio now and can start using it with a smile on my face.

Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck.

Rick
P.S. I hope I saved it as a file you can view.
I just checked the files and can see them fine on my end, but it didn't render them correctly but it is close enough and I'm sure you will get the idea.
Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.