• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-6666 with Heil PR781

as for bob heil ..
hes a sales man.and also a writer of cb to 10m mods in at least one ham mag back in the late 1970,s early 1980's ..

a nice guy but i would never own one of his mics they just cant fix my accent

his videos are interesting however i screw my face up when he drones on about his world outside of the subject at hand and makes rookie mistakes like feedback during a show of his gear .:whistle:

the rest of this thread is o_O

No doubt about it !

If you find one for yours I buy one for me too :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: k4get
The Heil PR781 does sound better but not so much better that it is worth the huge price difference. Looking at the cost difference between the Heil PR781 SL41 the price is not worth it. It does sound really good with that Heil PR781 though no doubt about that!

The Heil PR781 is $153 from Gigiparts and the SL41 is $38 and some change! So the Heil PR781 is a little more than 4X the price. Not saying that the Heil is expensive either since a base station mic should last well over a decade but it is hardly fair to compare two items with that large of a price difference! On top of that the Heil is not practical for use in a mobile while the SL41 is.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
The 781 and others sound just fine plugged straight into a real HF rig, but if they sound awful into a CB or export radio then what does that tell you?

When are you going to stop playing with toys on the Sesame Street channels and move up to the grown mans(sort of ) frequencies?

All radio's have some limitation on fidelity what do you think ham's modify their gear for eSSB? Why do you think some radio models are highly sought after and some are not? Why do you think so many amateurs have all kinds of money invested in rack gear, computer software and expensive microphones? People like you chap my butt because you make statements that do not reflect reality or even the market place at all!

A Neumann U-87Ai is a $3200 microphone I can buy 13X AT-6666 radio's for the price of that Mic and that mic is gross over kill for even a stock amateur radio it is a classic instance of again having more money than brains! As a musician, instrument maker and audiophile I know that mic very well it is famous and a gold standard with instrumentalist from piano to brass. They only made the U-87 from 1967 to 1986 the current model is the U-87 Ai which is not the same beast different electronics. It would be an epic waste to use one on a stock amateur radio number one it is not going to match up with out impedance matching of some sort depending on the radio radio's. Two it's freq. response from low to hi exceeds what any stock radio I am aware of can make use of. Third it does not have a ptt switch so it is not plug and play like you make it sound. Lastly it needs 48V Phantom power so again not plug and play for any HF rig like you so ignorantly proclaimed! It is almost flat from 20hz to 20khz. While it is an incredible mic for recording vocalist and orchestra etc....It is not even close to the ideal for HF rig! Also it is XLR3 not the most common connector on a stock HF rig over the last 30 years.... LOL I could match it or better it in stock HF rig use with a small diaphragm costing about $65 made in Europe as well retail while I got them for $15 each gota love ebay! I might be able to do it for $3 per capsule depending on the fidelity of the receiving radio since your mic capsule does not matter once you exceed the fidelity of the receiving station! On top of that I do not need 48V I can make do with 4V to power the fet in mic capsule meaning I could actual put it in a stock hand mic or desk mic and run it with no gear, no adapters, no separate ptt switch etc....When you do not just toss money at a problem but actually engineer a solution it allows you a lot more flexibility and a better fit for the situation. I would love to see you use a U-87 in a vehicle while driving and see how it does in a noisy environment and by noisy I do not mean just background noise by electrically noisy.

Just the very idea of using a $3200 mic on a HF rig smacks of stupidity to anyone that knows that mic and how not plug and play it is for any HF rig! You might as well be telling people that the Ferrari California is the best car to use for a Coast to Coast road trip across the United State during the Winter or as your Winter Alpine car for ski resort hoping! LOL

On the other hand if you where just joking I take back everything I said!LOL

I do not own an AT-6666 I might get one in the future. If I do I will have to send it to Mark and let him match my custom mic to one. If I do are you going to send him a U-87 or U-87Ai to test against my elcheapo Franken-Mic? LOL

Actually I do not have to buy a radio I suppose I could just send him a mic to test. I would have to build the mic but I have the parts on hand. I do not know how he would test your U-87 since it will not plug into a standard HF rig and function out of the box with out rack hear, phantom power, ptt switch etc....

Last edited:
I'm sure many of the High Fidelity crowd would like it better if it had more Bass. That was deliberately filtered out inside the radio for efficiency reasons.
That makes perfect sense since the goal of non-broadcast two way radio communications is to be heard and understood as far away as possible witht he least amount of power possible.Most amateurs are against eSSB and such. They want nice broadcast sound but not at the cost of deteriorating band conditions. On top of that most of them are not doing it mobile and they can legally use a lot of power. The second your are mobile and QRP hi-fi goes out the window and it also does when contesting and trying to break a pile-up!

If I wanted to be in talk radio I am sure it wold not be that hard to do! Not all of us need to play talk radio host! LOL....Some people just want to show off the size of their bank account not their own personal skill, knowledge, creativity or electronic prowess! Anyone can toss money at a problem! Not all of us want to waste power on low bass. World is full of people with lots of money and no skill we see it in aviation, shooting sports, racing, radio hobby, audiophile world, car restoration world etc........Guys in the radio hobby that just toss money at their hobby are like Mall Ninja's with all the expensive tactical gear and custom AR's that still can not hit the 10 Ring or the guy with $10K in his BR rifle and all his Sinclair reloading gear but again cannot win a match to save his life! Sadly since it takes very little skill to operate a ptt switch you can buy yourself a fantastic set-up in the rf world and be a big shot with nothing but deep pockets. Probably one of the reasons my main hobbies are ones where actual skill trumps deep pockets! LOL Nothing wrong with being successful and financially prosperous it is just the principal of tossing money at a problem to win that irritates me. I hate it even more when it is my tax dollars being tossed at a problem often with no real results to show for it!

All radio's have some limitation on fidelity what do you think ham's modify their gear for eSSB? Why do you think some radio models are highly sought after and some are not? Why do you think so many amateurs have all kinds of money invested in rack gear, computer software and expensive microphones? People like you chap my butt because you make statements that do not reflect reality or even the market place at all!

A Neumann U-87Ai is a $3200 microphone I can buy 13X AT-6666 radio's for the price of that Mic and that mic is gross over kill for even a stock amateur radio it is a classic instance of again having more money than brains! As a musician, instrument maker and audiophile I know that mic very well it is famous and a gold standard with instrumentalist from piano to brass. They only made the U-87 from 1967 to 1986 the current model is the U-87 Ai which is not the same beast different electronics. It would be an epic waste to use one on a stock amateur radio number one it is not going to match up with out impedance matching of some sort depending on the radio radio's. Two it's freq. response from low to hi exceeds what any stock radio I am aware of can make use of. Third it does not have a ptt switch so it is not plug and play like you make it sound. Lastly it needs 48V Phantom power so again not plug and play for any HF rig like you so ignorantly proclaimed! It is almost flat from 20hz to 20khz. While it is an incredible mic for recording vocalist and orchestra etc....It is not even close to the ideal for HF rig! Also it is XLR3 not the most common connector on a stock HF rig over the last 30 years.... LOL I could match it or better it in stock HF rig use with a small diaphragm costing about $65 made in Europe as well retail while I got them for $15 each gota love ebay! I might be able to do it for $3 per capsule depending on the fidelity of the receiving radio since your mic capsule does not matter once you exceed the fidelity of the receiving station! On top of that I do not need 48V I can make do with 4V to power the fet in mic capsule meaning I could actual put it in a stock hand mic or desk mic and run it with no gear, no adapters, no separate ptt switch etc....When you do not just toss money at a problem but actually engineer a solution it allows you a lot more flexibility and a better fit for the situation. I would love to see you use a U-87 in a vehicle while driving and see how it does in a noisy environment and by noisy I do not mean just background noise by electrically noisy.

Just the very idea of using a $3200 mic on a HF rig smacks of stupidity to anyone that knows that mic and how not plug and play it is for any HF rig! You might as well be telling people that the Ferrari California is the best car to use for a Coast to Coast road trip across the United State during the Winter or as your Winter Alpine car for ski resort hoping! LOL

On the other hand if you where just joking I take back everything I said!LOL

I do not own an AT-6666 I might get one in the future. If I do I will have to send it to Mark and let him match my custom mic to one. If I do are you going to send him a U-87 or U-87Ai to test against my elcheapo Franken-Mic? LOL

Actually I do not have to buy a radio I suppose I could just send him a mic to test. I would have to build the mic but I have the parts on hand. I do not know how he would test your U-87 since it will not plug into a standard HF rig and function out of the box with out rack hear, phantom power, ptt switch etc....
You're complete moron!

If your so knowledgeable on audio equipment, why would you let someone else set your audio up on your radio?

I don't condone or advocate the use of outboard studio gear integrated with Amateur radio or CB, I'm against it.

I do run an expensive ribbon mic but that's it. If you know their history, these are radio mics and were the radio standard back during the golden age of radio broadcasting.

I also don't take take the use of the word "musician" lightly. Many people call themselves that yet they can't read or write it's written language, they're mostly players who memorized patterns on a guitar fretboard. They are musicians in the abstract sense of the word because playing a song is music.

Being a Classically trained Pianist and Bassist, I'm fluent reading both clefs so I can and do call myself a musician in every sense of the word.

I also have experience with live and studio audio mixing having my own 24 track ADAT studio with the typical outboard audio gear. I am self taught on this from reading books and trial and error from hands on. I don't claim to be a Rupert Neve but I have learned a lot over the years and I'm familiar with a lot of the high end gear and expensive mics like the Neumans. I could easily integrate all my audio gear into my radio, but why?

Do us all a favor, learn to type properly and outline your posts in a paragraphic form. This makes it easier for us to read. Your posts look like one long sentence.

If you are truly educated in audio engineering and music, surely you're educated enough in English composition.

Some of us like to use obscure microphones simply because we can.
As long as somebody can get a microphone to work well I don't care what kind of microphone they use.
I agree about the ranger SRA 198 being the most economical choice as opposed to the Heil PR 781 but some people like to do things simply to show off and I think that was the point of this because most people would attempt to use the pr 781 and it would sound terrible on that radio right out of the box. in fact the frequency response is so wide on the ranger SRA 198 that it has similar issues to be overcome and I think that's why those two microphones were chosen because it's so difficult to get them to sound decent without lots of filtering.

You're complete moron!

If your so knowledgeable on audio equipment, why would you let someone else set your audio up on your radio?

I don't condone or advocate the use of outboard studio gear integrated with Amateur radio or CB, I'm against it.

I do run an expensive ribbon mic but that's it. If you know their history, these are radio mics and were the radio standard back during the golden age of radio broadcasting.

I also don't take take the use of the word "musician" lightly. Many people call themselves that yet they can't read or write it's written language, they're mostly players who memorized patterns on a guitar fretboard. They are musicians in the abstract sense of the word because playing a song is music.

Being a Classically trained Pianist and Bassist, I'm fluent reading both clefs so I can and do call myself a musician in every sense of the word.

I also have experience with live and studio audio mixing having my own 24 track ADAT studio with the typical outboard audio gear. I am self taught on this from reading books and trial and error from hands on. I don't claim to be a Rupert Neve but I have learned a lot over the years and I'm familiar with a lot of the high end gear and expensive mics like the Neumans. I could easily integrate all my audio gear into my radio, but why?

Do us all a favor, learn to type properly and outline your posts in a paragraphic form. This makes it easier for us to read. Your posts look like one long sentence.

If you are truly educated in audio engineering and music, surely you're educated enough in English composition.
I did not say I would let someone else set up a mic for me or choose the audio caps. What I said is if you send Hardrive your U-87 for testing wired up to take it's power from a modern Icom I would send a scratch built mic with under $50 in parts built on an old $9 Astatic junk mismatch parts base mice body wired for the same radio to Harddrive for comparison testing on spectrum analyzer. I know for a fact that on a radio wired for Icom electret mic I can do anything that your Neuman U-87 can do on that 2 way radio. Obviously, the mic I would build would not fair well in a real recording studio but 2 Way radio is not a recording studio!

So I was inviting you to put up or shut up basically about the Neuman U-87 on a 2 way radio. I know you will not do it though. I am sure your ego could not take it if a $36 mic cartridge stuffed into a $9 junk bin Astatic desk mic came close to performing as well as you $3200 recording studio mic "only on 2 way radio! Like I said the U-87 is the gold standard everything is better or worse than that and for good reason!

I still insist that putting that mic on a 2 way radio is like putting a $3200 cope on a $50 gas station Mauser rifle. It just makes no sense at all. Like putting W or Z rated tires on a Toyota Corolla or Camry! LOL Just more money than brains. For music use and voice overs I which I have not done in years I try to keep mic's under $400.

My neighbor happens to work in Detroit for a company that rebuilds hi-end recording mics. Our kids "youngest kids" went to school together celebrated birthdays together and trick or treated together as well. So it is not as if I have to go far to pick an experts brain on the matter. Also no shortage of mics to play around with!

If I was not willing to put up or shut up I would not be so bold.

I guess I just get tired of seeing people go way over board with mics on 2 way radios and a $3200 mic is way over board.

I did not say I would let someone else set up a mic for me or choose the audio caps. What I said is if you send Hardrive your U-87 for testing wired up to take it's power from a modern Icom I would send a scratch built mic with under $50 in parts built on an old $9 Astatic junk mismatch parts base mice body wired for the same radio to Harddrive for comparison testing on spectrum analyzer. I know for a fact that on a radio wired for Icom electret mic I can do anything that your Neuman U-87 can do on that 2 way radio. Obviously, the mic I would build would not fair well in a real recording studio but 2 Way radio is not a recording studio!

So I was inviting you to put up or shut up basically about the Neuman U-87 on a 2 way radio. I know you will not do it though. I am sure your ego could not take it if a $36 mic cartridge stuffed into a $9 junk bin Astatic desk mic came close to performing as well as you $3200 recording studio mic "only on 2 way radio! Like I said the U-87 is the gold standard everything is better or worse than that and for good reason!

I still insist that putting that mic on a 2 way radio is like putting a $3200 cope on a $50 gas station Mauser rifle. It just makes no sense at all. Like putting W or Z rated tires on a Toyota Corolla or Camry! LOL Just more money than brains. For music use and voice overs I which I have not done in years I try to keep mic's under $400.

My neighbor happens to work in Detroit for a company that rebuilds hi-end recording mics. Our kids "youngest kids" went to school together celebrated birthdays together and trick or treated together as well. So it is not as if I have to go far to pick an experts brain on the matter. Also no shortage of mics to play around with!

If I was not willing to put up or shut up I would not be so bold.

I guess I just get tired of seeing people go way over board with mics on 2 way radios and a $3200 mic is way over board.
Go back to school!

Just another troll who tries to impress with vast knowledge of everything in every thread.....
Stick to making your amps in abs plastic enclosures

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.