• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AO-51 in bad shape

Qwazyone

Jan 25, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
Batteries are about shot and attempts to reload the software are failing because the sat doesn't retain what has already been uploaded through its eclipsed stage. The command team has a few more options but there has been no return to service date set.

A command team member has posted that AO-51 might be available on holidays and weekends, I think on 435.150 downlink and 145.88 up, but if you don't hear it, don't transmit.

Here is what Drew posted on the Amsat board

We are working on this right now. There are six commands that have to be
given in sequence to make this work, and for the time being, one at the
end of a pass. It's important to shut things down to keep from damaging
the batteries even further in eclipse. There may be a small chance for a
brief recovery in the fall of this year, and we don't want to endanger
that by further harm to the batteries.

In the meantime, listen to 435.150 during the afternoon passes over the
Eastern US, especially on weekends and holidays. If you hear voices, the
repeater should be available for use with a 145.880 uplink. If you don't
hear anything, don't transmit. This is IMPORTANT: There are no promises
or predictions of when we will get the chance to run the repeater. It is
on an 'as available' basis. Please don't e-mail asking when it will be
on, unless it's for a very, very special event. If I know in advance,
I'll drop a note to here or to the AMSAT twitter account. That being
said, this afternoon is looking good.

73, Drew KO4MA
AMSAT-NA VP Operations

In the first paragraph he is referring to the possibility of a northern command station transmitting automated commands to turn the sat on.

I don't know what kind of batteries were used but since AO-51 is a sun-synchronous sat, they make have gotten baked before it started getting into eclipses a couple years ago, I doubt that AO-51 has a cooling sytem like the ISS and AO-51 is usually 2x higher or more

Uplink change

I just read somewhere that AO-51's uplink frequency has changed to 145.920 due to interference on 145.880. Is this true?

I tried working AO-51 on an east coast pass yesterday with an Arrow and HT. About half way through the pass, heard op ask guys to be patient as they were trying to make adjustments to the satellite.

Is the repeater on this bird being manually turned on for US passes?

Just received the Arrow yesterday. Freaking out the neighbors. HI

Yup AO-51 was a really fun bird, and the only FM bird a TS-2000 owner can really enjoy. It lasted longer than expected Hmmm why is the replacement still 2 years away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.