• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Apartment Woes - Help Me Please

Since you will have access to the roof,I would think that an antenna like a G5RV mini would work fine they are a 40 to 10 meter dipole that is about half the over length of a full sized G5RV ...and I would think that 16 inches to 2 feet off the ridge of the roof should be fine....

I am sure there are more folks here that know more about this than I do though.....that is my personal thoughts on the antenna for what its worth

I was in the same pickle last year while living in on base dorms. The setup Im about to explain to you worked fantastic for me.

Is your balcony rainling metal? If so Its a perfect counter poise for the yaesu antenna ATAS100/120 The are screwdriver type antennas that automatically tune between 7mhz and 440mhz with any of the following radios. FT847 Ft100/d ft857/897 . I used this and had no problem on local reapeters within 30-40 miles (even on the blocked side of the ant! and made many HF contacts all over the world. The best part was I used a modified channel lock plier system that just clamped to the railing. No hole or modifications needed. And when I was done using the antenna I would just unclamp and set in the corner out of the weather! I praise this system!!!!

I would also recomend the MP-1 portable antenna system. With the addition coil it would work 3 mhz - 440mhz. Only problem was it was manual tune and could be finiky at times. But it worked great!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.