• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Maybe I shouldn't say anything about this, it's sort of addictive. But, it's fun too.
I got interested in APRS because the local club and EOC were doing it. So, figured I ought'a too. After asking lots of questions, getting a sort of standard, "Ask _ _ _ _ about it, not me.", I asked whats-his-name about it. His reply was to get a program called "UI-View", something called "AGWE", and a map program, either an old version of the Delorme 'Street Maps' or one by 'Precision Mapping'. Figured that ought'a be easy enough.
Well, it was sort of easy, and then it was sort of "What the #3$$ did he say?".
First problem.
The older Delorme programs are off the shelf now. Plenty of new ones, but they don't work.
Huh.. Okay, find the old one. Yeah, right. But then I found a thingy on one of the APRS sites that sort of turned the new version 8 into the old version 7. (The 8 to 7 thingy isn't just one step backwards, it went back several years.)
Anyway, downloaded it, got it to work.
Now set up that 'AGWE' thingy which turns your computer's soundcard into a TNC. Okay, got it, ran it... "What the #3$$ does THAT mean!?", time.
Oh... guess I should hook a radio up to it, right? Okay, rob cord from over there, plug it into the speaker on the radio, plug other end into the soundcard input (knew where that was), dial in 144.390 on the radio... 'nuthin happening. OH! I see, gotta run both programs at the same time, gotch'a. Few hours later even got a few stations on the map, making progress!
Says you can connect to an APRS Server on the internet. Okay, I'll try it. Where to I find the URL? Finally found -them-, not -it-, but -them-. Huh... which one? What the #3$$, try'em all.
You/I have never seen so many @#$ stations... covered the whole map of the USA. Several layers deep! Huh, it says something about filtering, wonder how that works. Guess I ought'a read the @#$ instructions to start with instead of just 'winging' it.

To make a looong story short, I got it working at the house. The laptop is/was a different story cuz it uses that @#$ Vista! Found a way to do it, it really does pay to read those "FINE" manual. Got the laptop to work okay with only one problem. It (Vista/laptop) doesn't like the radio in the truck. Works fine with a scanner, just not the radio. Okay, I'll just use the scanner. Crap, need another antenna... Got two on the truck for regular two meter stuff and one dedicated to a separate APRS transmitter. Besides having to find a @#$ mount, I guess I could make one.
{Used the scanner at the EOC connected to an unused antenna at the 100 foot level on the tower. Little bas**** was hearing Dallas! No idea what the antenna was designed for (who cares), but it works well with a scanner!}
After some more noodling around I found a non-free program to take the
'AGWE' program's place. Same guy wrote it, just charges for it since it does it's own thinking instead of me having to do it. Worth the price! It's also a commercial program so much more idiot proof than the other one. When I registered it he found out I was a ham (he's SV2AGW, Greece) and threw in a free registration for a second computer and something else I haven't quite figured out yet.
This $#^+ is FUN! You ought'a try it. The only thing I'd really, really recommend is to RTFM first, not later. Saves a lot of grey hair, but then, mine's already grey, so big deal...
- 'Doc

i remember when packet was a huge message handling network and lots of local qso's going on,

i handled dozens of health and welfare messages for local people during the first gulf war , when you could send a message halfway around the world and get a response back within twelve hours ,

internet killed that ,

and now its just used to update your position on plane earth in real time ,

why would i want to let people know where im at all times ???

dont mean to sound cynical, i just dont understand why aprs exists ???

73 de rich

Rich,
I'll bet you can think of a few reasons why something like APRS would be handy. Of course, that just depends on what you happen to be doing. The storm season here is a fairly good example, as in just where are those storm watchers anyway? Or, I seem to have misplaced my truck. Wonder where it went? Or, who knows what else? Not a lot of -important- stuff, just stuff, you know? Besides, you ever get that feeling that if old whats-his-name can do it, I certainly ought'a be able too, kind'a thingy?
'Cynical'? No man, you just haven't reached the 'right' state of mind yet. ;)
- 'Doc

And besides... I ain't happy unless I've got something to 'whine' and complain about.

Just some more stuff that'll probably bore you to death...

Ran across an 'add-on' to the "UI-View" APRS program that can tell you the effective range of your antenna set up. It's called "UI-Aloha". Get all the other stuff running correctly then add this thingy to the UI-View program directory. After a little time to receive stations, it does some calculating and draws a circle around you on the map. That's the 'effective range' of what you are hearing (RF, not internet). And since your transmit range is basically the same as your receiving range, it can give you a sort of 'ruff' idea of what your set up is capable of. Heavy emphasis on 'ruff'! It also depends a great deal on propagation, so sometimes it'll be unbelievably good. I have a hard time believing that I can be heard on the Texas gulf coast with an antenna maybe 15 feet high. On the other hand, though, I do hear a few APRS mobiles at that far a distance, so I guess it's possible. Who cares, it's fun to play with...
- 'Doc

(Do a search for 'UI-Aloha' and you'll find it.)

dont mean to sound cynical, i just dont understand why aprs exists ???

73 de rich

I'm right there with you, friend. I once sat in a guys APRS decked out mobile with laptop, GPS, and 2 meter as he ran the system thru it's paces. I asked him "So why is this better than calling you on the radio and asking "What's your position" and you looking at your GPS and saying "I'm at 43.28 north by 98.35 west".

He looked at me like I had just kicked his dog.

But to each his own....as far as effective range goes, I use Radio Deluxe. It's a pain to D/L all the SRTM coord sets needed, but as far as accuracy goes, it's on par with so-called "Professional" software packages.

Well since i do a lot of hunting alone, it gives the XYL some peace of mind that she can track me up in the north woods. And as Doc explained as far as weather spotters and search and rescue goes, it's nice to know where everyone is.

I just started playing with APRS when I got the VX-8. I showed the wife how to track me when I went camping last week. She thought that was pretty cool...and she thinks radio stuff is dumb ;).

Send me a message sometime on APRS...

FindU I don't get. CGI scripts? So I can use it to build my own site?

aprs.fi looks really cool, but it nees more description, at least a legend of all the symbols...

I hate to dig up an old thread, but it hits on a topic I am interested in. I plan on making many trips to the deep woods and expect to turn APRS on at least once a day so people can keep track of me. The funny thing is, when I look at APRS.fi, I am not seeing APRS traffic in the deep woods.

Is there a reason why APRS will not work in the BWCA (North of Ely MN)?

There is of course the obvious reason why I do not see traffic, no one is trying to use APRS in that area, but I was wondering if it was a technical reason why it shouldn’t work in that area.

One bit of caution in case it hasn't occurred to people yet.

Having people aware of just exactly where you are has resulted in some burglaries and theft of equipment in peoples' shacks.

It is a shame to have to consider this, but just be aware that talking about when you go on vacation on a repeater as well as APRS tracking both have resulted in burglaries around the NY metro area.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.