• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AR-144

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Relatives ...same as Cobra 146 /Realistic 451/453/465 Uniden PC-122 / PRO 640E and 810E can me modded for channels by changing the the pll or installing a kit . Decent radios and very nice on SSB

OK radios. Not Great. The squelch fails constantly. Very hard to work on due to its construction and size. It was a "low budget" sideband radio. The stock PLL is not upgradeable. If you get one that works like a gem, I wouldn't give more than $50 for it. Spend twice that and get a Grant XL, LT or an Old 148.

good little radio, can be modded with a new loop oscillater, very easy to work on, same as cobra 146 board and verry similar to stalker 9fdx without the fm mode, sorry guys but the ar144 is much prefered over the old 148/madison board here in the uk more stable on frequency and better ssb audio ( we dont use AM ) if we want mor freqs we buy an export uniden or a hf set. ;)

i like them, had one 5 years ago before i lost my mind and sold everything. tried to snatch one of ebay 2wks ago and got sniped in the last seconds, my gain ended up with a p300 instead pristine condition now i need to npc it if someone knows how for this unit.

A great radio, especially for the price.
I used to collect that line. My favorite was the Uniden PC 122XL with chrome face.It is small and fit in about any vechicle
The receive could have used some improvement but it wasnt bad. Those radios can be tuned to scream on AM and still talk great on SSB. With the clarifier opened up the radio had alot of slide.I always used the Expo 100 model "N" kits on them
it gave you enough channels for talking barefoot DX with no problem. I still have a couple of the "N" kits laying around, and if the price was right I would probably pick up a couple more of those in the future.I stuck a rough looking but good working PC 122 and a 102" whip in my golf cart that I use to run around the back roads here a couple of years back, and left the cart out behind the house covered up with a tarp in the winter, and the radio still works great, I figured it would die from the moisture but its still ticking. If it died its no big deal, it was $5.00 at a garage sale. I never bought the RS model but it should perform the same. I have had the PC 122, PC 122XL,
Pc 244
Pro 810e, AR 144 and the Cobra 146. All good reliable radios for every day use.

Re: 144

TalkingTall said:
A great radio, especially for the price.
I used to collect that line. My favorite was the Uniden PC 122XL with chrome face.

Yes indeed, the PC-122 is a great little rig (only thing I don't like about mine is the "bar" meter.

Of all the rigs I'd owned, some of the best compliments on tx audio came from that 122, and that was with the stock mike!

hey there..

all i can say is..
my old Cobra 146 did really well..
i liked it much more then the 148 (even though i am told they use the same boards..my 146 had far better audio)

Later

heres how i do extra bands on a stalker 9 / president ar144/ax144/ or cobra 146gtl, i did this one for charlie oscar about 5 years ago and got it back tonight, now i have 2 of them to play with :D
the board comes from our uk stalker 9's with only one adjustment coil, i strip the board and repopulate it with parts from scrap cobra exports so i have separate adjustments for am/fm usb and lsb and clarifier/kc shift, i get one extra band on the president /cobra and two extra bands on the stalker 9's they work perfect.. http://photobucket.com/albums/y152/...urrent=P1000710.jpg&slideshow=true&interval=5

bob85 said:
good little radio, can be modded with a new loop oscillater, very easy to work on, same as cobra 146 board and verry similar to stalker 9fdx without the fm mode, sorry guys but the ar144 is much prefered over the old 148/madison board here in the uk more stable on frequency and better ssb audio ( we dont use AM ) if we want mor freqs we buy an export uniden or a hf set. ;)
I absolutely agree, I recently traded a nice old Taiwanese 148GTL for the 146 I now have and it is MUCH more frequency stable with clearer, crisper audio on SSB. Though NOT as good an AM rig as the 148.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.