• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ar-3500 internal pics pls

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi, wondering if someone with a ranger ar 3500 could send me a good close up pic of the component side of the board. I'm mainly interested in the front of radio section. The previous owner had installed a backup battery mod using some nicad batteries wires to the board for memory. When I was handling the radio the loose corroded battery pack came disconnected and I now have a few wires hanging around not connected to anything. The radio powered up before this battery mess from prob 30 yrs ago came loose. Now there is no power to the set at all until I figure out where to terminate these leftover wires in my set. Many thanks

Last edited:

Hi, wondering if someone with a ranger ar 3500 could send me a good close up pic of the component side of the board. I'm mainly interested in the front of radio section. The previous owner had installed a backup battery mod using some nicad batteries wires to the board for memory. When I was handling the radio the loose corroded battery pack came disconnected and I now have a few wires hanging around not connected to anything. The radio powered up before this battery mess from prob 30 yrs ago came loose. Now there is no power to the set at all until I figure out where to terminate these leftover wires in my set. Many thanks
There were several models of that radio. Some were Clear Channel,some were Ranger & they came in 30 & 125 watt models. The Clear Channel versions were the Cream of the Crop in my opinion. Maybe this will help? http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/clear_channel_corp/ar3500/index.htm

SIX-SHOOTER

Where you lost power is to the computer and display. The backup-battery mod separates power for that chip from the rest of the radio, so the battery only supplies power to the computer when the radio is powered down. Taking that mod loose was bound to shut off power to the computer/display.

It's been 25 years since we last installed one of those backup-battery mods. But the instructions ought to be here somewhere. Might make 'undoing' it easier with the installation procedure as a guide.

Not sure how many tons of stuff might be on top of that manual.

No promises, but I'll look for it next time I'm at the shop.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
The Secret CB hookup only saves memory with an external power pack.

The hookup I remember used a computer-motherboard style NiCad battery, a 78L05 regulator to charge it and more than one diode.

And that's about what I remember. Still haven't dug into the obsolete archive for it.

The Secret CB hookup only saves memory with an external power pack.

The hookup I remember used a computer-motherboard style NiCad battery, a 78L05 regulator to charge it and more than one diode.

And that's about what I remember. Still haven't dug into the obsolete archive for it.

Sure do wish Nomad could have found this info and posted it I have 6 AR3500s I would love to install this upgrade mod to them

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.