• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are Yaesus being made in China and suffering?

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
I recent spoke with an Icom dealer who said Yaesus are being made in China and the poorer quality is showing. Are they, or is this true or sour grapes? He had lunch with one of the founders of Icom. They spoke though an interpreter but when the word China came up he tensed up and growled 'never China' in English. He seems to think Icom and Kenwood will merge because of the digital codevelopment and increasing market pressure.

Last edited:

I Hope Not..
For if so.. it likely would be a trend followed by both Kenwood and Icom to remain competitive.. and we all know quality will suffer

Had to check this out. I've seen "Yaesu", right on the equipment. I've seen "Yeasu", "Yaseau" and a few other variations.

But this is a new misspelling! Yause!

I have two new

yaesu radios,didnt look where they where made.A new ft450d and the ft250r...use both daily without a problem,mine will out hear most others newer radios in my arrea on 10 and 75mtrs where i am 99% of the time...so if you want a new rice burner dont worry...73 de JW 018.jpg

--If that is true about Kenwood and ICOM merging, then I hope it works out. I am guessing the guy from ICOM has little control over the merger, and also doesn't mind that some (don't know the extent of their entire line) of the Kenwood stuff is made in China. The "new" Kenwood TM-281 is currently made there. It's a shame about more stuff being made in China.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm still waiting for the one of the many chinese companies to try their hand at an HF radio.
mobile or base I don't care, just something besides the man-pack that's produced there.

maybe i'll get lucky and wouxun or tyt will clone the hilberling pt8000 in yellow and price it cheaper than an ic718 through 409shop.... i can wish can't i

Sales person hogwash, trying to scare you.
My new Ft 2000 D had made in Japan on the boxes, booklets, and transceiver all over it and in the transceiver as well on the additional pcb's

:D

Reactions: 1 person
It's Just Icom trying to get you to buy there product instead of Yaesu.

I wish Kenwood and Motorola would join or at minimum motorola would try out Ham radio rigs...

Yaesu is Japanese. I don't think Japan and China have any sort of trade or manufacturing agreements. Sounds like sour grapes.

Some of this may stem from the fact that the Yaesu radios are indeed made in Japan while the accessories for them are often made in China. My FT-857D is made in Japan while the stock MH-31 microphone it came with is made in China as is a lot of other smaller items from Yaesu. Does not make sense to me but it must to someone. It has been that way for many years too as the FT-857D I have is now at least four years old or more.

I don't think Yaesus are being made in China. I was informed by another ham months back there was some sort of storm that caused Yaesu and Icom to shut down, but Kenwood was still up and running not affected because they were built in China now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.