1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

ARRL and FCC, good reading:

Discussion in 'FCC Activity' started by Jay in the Mojave, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Thestonerguy

Thestonerguy Active Member

I joined a couple years ago. At that time I could still buy QST magazine at one of the book stores, and it was about $3.15 after sales tax (a little over $37/year) and for $39 I get the membership, and have the mag delivered to my house. There are the typical pratfalls like knowing approx. when you'll receive the magazine each month and camping out by the mailbox until it arrives..(still trying to load up my mailbox with a tuner and the 817 to pass the time away while I'm out there waiting).

Woody

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

I agree that the newstand price is almost the entire cost of ARRL membership but there are a lot of folks that could care less about joining the ARRL but would like to have QST.Many folks do not want to get it every month but pick up the copies that have something of interest to them.I personally fall into that category.It is a good magazine,especially the half that isn't filled with advertisments. ;) I generally picked up 6-7 issues a year.Others I know picked up all 12.

3. Hook948

Hook948 Member

Although I'm a ARRL member and get the mag every month, I keep my ears tuned to the local repeaters. Sometimes someone will mention wanting to get rid of a few years of mags. I jump in and find out when & where to pick them up. A couple of years ago I got several years of CQ mags from the 70's. They are really neat to look through, even the ad's are cool. I get a kick out of reading the articles saying Ham radio is nearing the end with the new NO CODE license proposal for VHF and above(Then called "Communicator" now Technician). There were comments like...I'll just sell my equipment and get out of radio if that happens & It's going to be full of CB'ers etc. etc. Sound familiar? :LOL: [​IMG]

4. Jay in the Mojave

Jay in the Mojave Active Member

Hello Hook 948:

Yeah I have heard all that. Goes to show again a good call on the FCC's part. Good photo.

Jay in the Mojave

5. Jay in the Mojave

Hello All:

Ok I got some e-mail on all this thread here.

The Amateur tests are at:
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

This is the ARRL web site that has the tests for study. They also sell a study guid in a book form. Its at:

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/

They also have testing locations posted at the first web site.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Mojave

6. Jay in the Mojave

More good reading in Feb 07 QST:

A great summery of FAQ of what is happening with the FCC dropping the morse code test requirement. Page 80.

In a Nut Shell No Code Techs will have Phone SSB and CW privileges on Ten Meters, 28.300 to 28.500, using less than 200 watts.

I am sure this is also on the net somewhere I just haven't found it yet.

So 28.385 to 28.405 Mc I would think to be active, as the new NO CODE rules come into effect, on the 23 rd of Feb 2007. Hope the condations are good that day.

Jay in the Mojave

Ok this just in, a e-mail from a friend. The ARRL has a web site for the new NO CODE FAQ's and its at:
    http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt05-235/

thanks for all the e-mails.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, just ah ways down the road from the fillin station.

7. todt061458

todt061458 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Thanks Jay For All the info. :D

8. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

I use to get it back in the 70's by subscription and I would sure like to buy just a couple issues every once in awhile also.
    But I have not seen the magazine around here for probably 10 yrs now.

9. Jay in the Mojave

Hello DXman:

Yeah I remember QSR Magazine being on the super market shevels.

I have a friend who may know how to find out where the QST Magazines are delivered to. I will e-mail him.

Jay in the Mojave

10. NorthStar

NorthStar Administrator

I am pretty sure R&L Electronics sells individual copies.