• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Article

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Here is an Article I wrote that is posted on K1TP's web site As the World Turns:

The Darker Side of Amateur Radio
By W1MSG, Craig R Gagner

I have been involved with Amateur Radio since 2000, and as of last year I finally completed my upgrade to General Class which has opened many new doors in the hobby. I have made a lot of contacts around the world and have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences.

Amateur Radio offers a certain amount of anonymity due to locations and distances, you may talk with some one on the radio for years and never actually meet that person. Many times a conversation will involve what you do for a living, I am in the Military, this usually will bring out someone’s Veteran status and a short discussion about their time in the military, what they did and where they were stationed. It is always a pleasure to meet and chat with a Military Veteran and I always thank them for their service.

Unfortunately there is a trend that seems to be spreading, and its not just on Amateur Radio. People are embellishing their careers in the military to include acts of heroism, false claims of awards and service. Then you have the imposters and phonies, claiming things as absurd as black ops and even being a Navy SEAL, Delta Force, or Special Forces just to name a few claims. I personally take everyone at face value until they give me reason to question their claims. Most people who have served can quickly tell if someone may be adding the extra WOW factor to their stories. The one thing they fail to realize is that their entire military record is easily obtainable by utilizing organizations such as the POW Network, or just filling out a SF-180 form and submitting it. Many of these people when confronted with the truth will still try to defend their claims by saying their records have been sanitized, and their files are secret. This is totally false, the military does not do this, and they never have. The information in an Official Military Personnel File lists data that is not of a classified nature. It will list the individuals rank, duty assignments, awards, years in service, and schools. Certain items are blacked out to stay in compliance with the Privacy Act, but you will have a very good idea of what their military career was.

The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006, is a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, or sale of any military decorations and medals. It makes it a federal misdemeanor offense to falsely represent oneself as having received any U.S. military decoration or medal. If convicted, defendants may be imprisoned for up to six months, unless the decoration lied about is the Medal of Honor, in which case imprisonment could be up to one year.

Unfortunately some of the District Courts ( California ) have decided that its unconstitutional and think that people should be able to lie their ass off under the 1st Amendment.

There are also those that would fraudulently change their discharge paperwork in order to receive disability compensation and services from the Veterans Administration. To me this is the lowest form of scum and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law when caught.

I encourage each and every one of you out there on the airwaves to look into anyone you may suspect of embellishing their military career. Please take a look at P.O.W. Network and see just how many of these imposters and phonies are out there.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me, all of my data is good with a call sign search. I am by no means an expert but I can probably point you in the right direction.

Craig
W1MSG

So what are your feelings on this subject ??? :pop:

well, I'm pretty sure that the (ex) pro wrestler, ......and (ex) Gov of Mn has added a lot of "stuff" to his own record that never happened.

but,..... at least ya don't hear of the Pres. adding anything to his military record:oops:

I have relatives that served active duty in WWII, (grandfather now passed away) uncles that served vietnam, friends in several of the middles east conflict, The Golf War and on. Even as a little shithead I was asking grandpa about the war and and uncles and friends, they would give very little information because some of it was painful to talk about. So what I have gathered over time is that true heros or medal awardees are not "bragging" about their duty. Maybe it is just me?

The only bragging I here from friends in the military are drunken stories while on leave :whistle:

Although, I have a friend that was on an aircraft carrier and stole ammo and was taking pictures in areas where he was not suppose to be taking pictures, I can vouch for that as I seen it all, but yeah his big mouth and bragging got him caught, and rightfully so.

When they say what their MOS, ratings or AFSC is, I do not believe it one bit when it involves them saying "I was in the special forces" or similar. So I agree with you about the bull that we hear sometimes.

Now, I myself, was in the special olympics, does that count? :D

It's too bad that some people think they need to lie about their past, but it happens a lot and its not something that just happened recently either. How many claimed to be firefighters from New York after 911?

I have no problem with my short military service, a 6x2 in the National Guard as a 52G and I didn't see combat even though I served when Desert Shield was going on, my unit was sent to Panama instead to help rebuild some infrastructure- schools, clinics, etc. I enjoyed the first 4 years and then they kept changing things, my MOS was dropped from the NG within 3 months of my ETS and that was enough to keep me from re-enlisting

LMAO! Boy this post brought back some memories. We had a local from here in Scottsboro that came home from Vietnam with a trunk full of medals and letters of commendation for all of his "acts of heroism" while in country.
Regaled his local townsfolk with his "horror" stories from his time in the bush and on the front lines and in the tunnels........................then another hometown fellow showed up after going through 3 years of rehab to learn to walk on the 1 leg he had left, see out of the 1 eye he had left and write with the only arm he had left and spilled the beans that the "Hero" was a damn cook and never got anywhere near any action!

His Father (WWII Veteran) disowned him and damn near beat him to death for tarnishing the honor of the Army, boy moved out of town and as far as I know, no one has ever seen or heard from him since.

I hope he is washing dishes somewhere in a greasy spoon restaurant.

Karma................

So what who cares. You run across liars on the street everyday. People will lie about what color their dog's poop is. I don't give a shit. Pun intended. I enjoy ham and CB and "have" to listen to "story embellishment" all the time from all corners.

It's no big deal. People's fabrications are THEIR problem. Not mine.

So what who cares. You run across liars on the street everyday. People will lie about what color their dog's poop is. I don't give a shit. Pun intended. I enjoy ham and CB and "have" to listen to "story embellishment" all the time from all corners.

It's no big deal. People's fabrications are THEIR problem. Not mine.

The problem is the injustice and dishonour the asshole liars bring to the good men and women who served with honour in combat. It serves to trivialize the sacrifices they made.

Happy Hamer:

I know exactly what you are saying. I had a great uncle that served in both Sicily and in the liberation of Holland in WW2. He would hardly ever talk about anything and when he did it was often something funny. There were times he would just stop talking and stare off into the distance for a minute or so and then snap back and start talking about something altogether different. You didn't ask him what he was thinking about at that time.

Many of my family members were in many wars, fights etc etc serving the united states of America. Also many will only give me short story's on them due to painful, sad, loss of friends family etc. I think any smart ass who walks arround blabbing about killing, being honored and humbly throwing it in peoples face should get a smack down STAT.!!!! I have heard claims on the bands from 80m - 2m. Isn't it sad what people will do just for attencion? California is full of wackos. The laws here suck monkey shit ass. What I can't believe is many many veterans live on the streets either from drugs or alchohol and this great forgen welcoming state of California yields to help those who fought for our freedom. God bless America mother fuckers those who appose my country can fuck off. Sorry for my chosen words of profanity fellas.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The problem is the injustice and dishonour the asshole liars bring to the good men and women who served with honour in combat. It serves to trivialize the sacrifices they made.

I agree with the basic assessment but this is a niche issue and this fellow is asking us to join his cause. Nothing wrong with that but I'm betting he'll get few takers. Lot's of similar issues in the world and world has much bigger problems to deal with. My sympathies.

I agree with the basic assessment but this is a niche issue and this fellow is asking us to join his cause. Nothing wrong with that but I'm betting he'll get few takers. Lot's of similar issues in the world and world has much bigger problems to deal with. My sympathies.

Are you aware of the millions of tax dollars these liars steal from the US by falsifying records to support their claims, not to mention it is a Federal Offense.

So it does in fact effect everyone to some degree, but unfortunately there are way too many out there that say it doesnt effect me so who cares.

Here is a little snip of just how bad the Fraud is !

We’re always discussing waste, fraud and abuse at the VA and this is the most easily solved case. The Department of Defense lists 545 living Vietnam POWs and 20 living POWs from the first Gulf War based on the stuff that you and I know to be credible information and personnel accountability reports from the eras.

However, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs pays benefits to 966 claimants from Vietnam and 286 claimants from Desert Storm. That’s a total of 687 phonies collecting VA benefits designated for POWs. The problem is easy enough to fix…all it takes is for the DVA to compare the list from the DoD with a list of their claimants. But for the last ten years, the DVA has stonewalled any private or congressional investigation blaming their computers for being so outdated that they’re unable to generate a list of veterans who claim to be POWs. Isn’t that what computers are for?

end of snip..

I am currently awaiting a set of records right now and will post up my findings when everything is verified. It could result in the VA trying to recoup thousands of doallars in benefits that have been paid out for years.

So if you dont believe its your problem, think again. Or maybe you dont mind continuous tax increases.

Are you aware of the millions of tax dollars these liars steal from the US by falsifying records to support their claims, not to mention it is a Federal Offense.

Fine, I hear ya. So call the F.B.I.

I'm more concerned about the political stalemate, the economy, high unemployment, homeless people, and the lack of toilets for millions of people in India.....no shit !

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/556/No-Shit-Please-

Last edited:
Fine, I hear ya. So call the F.B.I.

I'm more concerned about the political stalemate, the economy, high unemployment, homeless people, and the lack of toilets for millions of people in India.....no shit !

Watch Documentaries online | Promote Documentary Film : No Shit Please! by Devi Prasad Mishra

Lmao who the F#$% eats there own poo?:thumbdown:
***NEWS FLASH*** INDIA DOES!
poo.gif
lick.gif
poo.gif
lick.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like most of the BS stories you hear, they all start out

"No Shit there I was"

But seriously I hear you on the current domestic problems, but what can a HAM do about it except vote one corrupt politician out and vota another in. At least this is a little something you can do.
Will it make a difference ?? It probably wont amount to much more than a piss hole in the snow compared to what the Govt spends ..

( Couldnt open the links at work but I'll check em when I get home )

This thread is drifting into a political mess, we allow politics here, but in a different section of the forum,,,,,,watching for more "drift"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.