• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic AST-878DM Base Mic

Anyone used this mic. I have one and it squeals like a pig if you turn it to were the mod needs to be. Found out they are having a recall on this mic for this reason. I sent mine in and should get another in a week or so. They told me the new ones work fine. The company I work for makes the plastic used to make it. Its called Cycolac. If you have one of these mics call BarJan. They look nice for a newer style mic. Hoping it works even better. Will give a update on the replacement when I get it in.
Have you considered the DELTA M2? It has an AC adapter to eliminate the 9V battery.

Have you considered the DELTA M2? It has an AC adapter to eliminate the 9V battery.
I can say from Personal experience that the Delta M2 is a much better mic than the astatic 878,better built and better sounding imo,I have one hooked up to my Ranger and I get nothing but great reports from other operators,plus the ac adaptor is a Plus also( I use a 9 volt and got a month out it before I had to replace it!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
For $70 on Amazon, it is the cheapest base mic available. With a couple of tweaks, it is a great microphone. I know its a shame to buy something, and then have to work on it. Kind of like MFJ, I guess. But if you can find one used, all the better.

The first fix was the scratchy PTT switch that all the Barjan mics suffer from. No need to replace the switch. A solder blob on the audio pins on the switch keeps them connected all the time which doesn't hurt anything. The audio is switched by turning the mic amp on and off with the PTT, which it already does.

magnifier_20220311_170547.jpg

The audio is great for pileup breaking on sideband, but not much else. The solution is to put a capacitor across the audio wire and ground to tame the treble. On my Galaxy DX2547, 0.5 microfarads worked out perfect. Two polarized electrolytic capacitors tied together by the negative leads makes it non polarized. Two capacitors of 1 microfarads each makes 0.5 microfarads total. Your results may vary depending on what radio you use. Experiment by listening to yourself with another radio with no antenna and headphones. This could be put on a switch to change how you sound on the fly.

magnifier_20220311_170953.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.