• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Echo Board

pc 122xl and RF 2018

Don't mean to hijack but a lot of talk about the cost vs performance of the RF power mic. As well , info about my particular radio the little 122 being an overheater due to am power and regulator on same heat sink.
Is the power mic taxing the radio's internals the same as peaking the output and modulation or is the power mic your radio's best friend?, because I will gladly pay $60 for a mic if my reliability stays rock solid!
Once again, I just joined and have no idea how to start a thread!
Apologies!

are you using it for a mobile or base? I ask because generally power/echo mics sound horrible in a truck or vehicle. I've heard the 2018 used on a base and it sounded good. As far as taxing the radio, if it is properly aligned and not hacked up, there should be no reason a echo mic would do any harm

Thanks so much for the response. Never used one before, have a Galaxy 99 and it's fantastic. Only channel mod done on it and the echo obviously is stock.
But I've had this little Uniden since.....good grief it's my first cb actually. I borrowed one for a couple years then bought a 78xl but wouldn't fit nicely in my old solid axle Toyota back in my back country camping days. So the shop let me exchange it for the " little " cb that would fit nicer. So glad it worked out that way cause for a few years it was a good little radio. It went south on me don't know why and Uniden factory had it 3 times sent from 2 different shops and finally said " A 303 at 50 yards! " So I shelved it till 10 or so years later I stumbled across a new guy close to one of my trucking plants. A guy who still "fixes" radios. Left it with him and no joke it's been perfect since. Said it was just a crystal. Anyways.....I digress, been told power mic by some and nooo by others. I want to give the 99 a rest from the mobile and use the 122. It's quiet in my van and I have a helper but got recent report that tx was "quiet" so read a lot about power mic for 122xl being best solution as well the 2018 was "studio quality". Don't care about the echo just want loud rich sound so when I use it for base I will be good to go for ssb.
Phew! that was a mouthfull!

Oh, if you don't care about echo go with the cr577 ceramic element power mic, next best thing to a astatic 576 m6 which are very hard to find and outrageously pricey.

mic dilemma

Thanks, actually that was my first choice until I stumbled onto some threads about the 2018 being studio and something about condenser rather than element? I'm not a cheeseball, I like echo only for presence. I don't think anyone can argue that tasteful echo is hard to beat but I'm green with mics, I've always run stock, but if u say 577 is the way then I'm good with that!
So.......know any online electronics co. that will mail one to Canada without bending me over the couch?

as long as you aren't set on echo, an astatic road devil is an excellent mic that does a great job at noise canceling out background noises.
at least they were, I haven't bought anything new from them since the company sold.
I bought my last one off ebay. it's black so it's older, not that glaring red (I have one of those also, a great ugly mic) , looks new for 24$.

mic dilmma

The availability of the accessories or specialty radios is not good. when the dx 95t2 was the hot thing on the market it was $900 up here. I had some radios sent to a hotel where my brother was staying for work at the time and
i paid $500 for it. The mark up is sinful. Even when our dollar was parody it was bull. Ebay with deliv chg is around $90 for the mic. Have to be cheaper for me to consider it.

Not much info on Astatic echo boards, thought maybe i would help the next guy. First, i bought a radio used and it came as a bonus inside, but removed & replaced it with a RFx2 Turbo i had laying around. The range of delay doesnt even compare but maybe a trucker would want it, lol. I tested it on a 29 classic, wired it to the vol/on/off 13.8....blew 2 fuses, lol. Wired it to TR23 8v feed, works perfect, so power it to 8 volts, 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.