• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ASTROPLANE best vertical antenna ever?

Marconi,

After all of your years of research, personal experience, and reports from other users, which version do you feel provides the best overall performance? Avanti Astroplane, Targa version or Sirio Tophat? By your video the Tophat certainly seems to win in the noise floor category.

Hello
I have a question that i noticed in the original patent for the Avanti Astroplane.
On Page 6 under section 10 which i highlighted in blue it talks about efficiency.
My question for those who understand the details about how antenna theory is
By removing the top hat does that make antenna work better as long as the SWR
stays in range. Also for my use i do not stray above or below 1-40?
I am curious as this is out of my area of knowledge.
The attach file is the PDF of the patent for the Astroplane and Astrobeam.

Attachments

• astroplane2.pdf
    758.7 KB · Views: 13
Hello
I have a question that i noticed in the original patent for the Avanti Astroplane.
On Page 6 under section 10 which i highlighted in blue it talks about efficiency.
My question for those who understand the details about how antenna theory is
By removing the top hat does that make antenna work better as long as the SWR
stays in range. Also for my use i do not stray above or below 1-40?
I am curious as this is out of my area of knowledge.
The attach file is the PDF of the patent for the Astroplane and Astrobeam.

This is the specific text he has highlighted.

This is especially so when the conductor 46 is one-quarter wavelength, for the efficiency drops somewhat for a broader band when the conductor 46 is capacitively loaded, as by the crossed conductors 48 and 50.

When you add a capacity hat to a 1/4 wavelength antenna element, efficiency goes down. This is a form of loading and all forms of loading have this effect. But this is also that "less efficient" statement that so many people get hung up on, when nothing is said about how much less efficient. As is almost always the case when this phrase is invoked, in the real world it isn't so much that you will notice the difference so I wouldn't worry about it.

The Astrobeam came with a straight upper element, and there was a version of the Astroplane that also came with a straight upper element as well, although not as many of those were sold. I have also heard from others who have changed out the cap hat for a straight element as well, so it has been done.

I wouldn't worry about it if your just staying on the regular 40 channels. The CB band is a very narrow band, and very few antennas struggle to have enough bandwidth for it, and when they do there is typically a reason for it. The Astroplane design should have plenty of bandwidth with or without the cap hat.

The DB

When you add a capacity hat to a 1/4 wavelength antenna element, efficiency goes down. This is a form of loading and all forms of loading have this effect. But this is also that "less efficient" statement that so many people get hung up on, when nothing is said about how much less efficient. As is almost always the case when this phrase is invoked, in the real world it isn't so much that you will notice the difference so I wouldn't worry about it.

The Astrobeam came with a straight upper element, and there was a version of the Astroplane that also came with a straight upper element as well, although not as many of those were sold. I have also heard from others who have changed out the cap hat for a straight element as well, so it has been done.

I wouldn't worry about it if your just staying on the regular 40 channels. The CB band is a very narrow band, and very few antennas struggle to have enough bandwidth for it, and when they do there is typically a reason for it. The Astroplane design should have plenty of bandwidth with or without the cap hat.

The DB
Thank you very much for the explanation! I have run this original Avanti Astroplane for the last 8 years. I bought it new and for me it has worked amazingly. I was looking for the patent for the Astrobeam hoping to find enough
details so that i might try to build my own.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.