• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ASTROPLANE best vertical antenna ever?

After having my Gainmaster fail (low rx and 3.0 swr all channels) after 5 years, I put up my Sirio Vector 4000. Everything was great then the screws on the main center shaft began backing out and the shaft collapsing down into itself. Took the Vector down and retighted all screws, adding lock washers and loctite. 2 weeks later and some 30mph winds fasteners failed again. Went into the garage and brought out my Targa Astroplane copy. Put it up and no issues. SWR's are flat. Antenna is at same height as the Gainmaster and Vector. Can't hear any real difference. I guess I was blinded by the 5/8 wave of the GM and Vector and discounted the Targa. Shame on me for doubting the AP design. I spent the last week reading all the AP related threads on here and learned a great deal about the AP. Antenna is mounted on a 25' aluminum telescopic flag pole on top of a 6' wood deck. Feed point is 31'. When I put the AP up I didn't tell anyone I changed antennas and no one local or as far out as 35 miles asked if I changed anything. This antenna has worked the DX great as well. The only thing I'm not sure of adding is a ground rod. Not for lightning protection but for reduced rx static or antenna performance. Now I'm looking around for an origional Avanti Astroplane to put up. Thank you to all of you that contributed to the many Astroplane threads.

Reactions: midnight special
is that from over seas ??if so what they soak ya for shipping
After having my Gainmaster fail (low rx and 3.0 swr all channels) after 5 years, I put up my Sirio Vector 4000. Everything was great then the screws on the main center shaft began backing out and the shaft collapsing down into itself. Took the Vector down and retighted all screws, adding lock washers and loctite. 2 weeks later and some 30mph winds fasteners failed again. Went into the garage and brought out my Targa Astroplane copy. Put it up and no issues. SWR's are flat. Antenna is at same height as the Gainmaster and Vector. Can't hear any real difference. I guess I was blinded by the 5/8 wave of the GM and Vector and discounted the Targa. Shame on me for doubting the AP design. I spent the last week reading all the AP related threads on here and learned a great deal about the AP. Antenna is mounted on a 25' aluminum telescopic flag pole on top of a 6' wood deck. Feed point is 31'. When I put the AP up I didn't tell anyone I changed antennas and no one local or as far out as 35 miles asked if I changed anything. This antenna has worked the DX great as well. The only thing I'm not sure of adding is a ground rod. Not for lightning protection but for reduced rx static or antenna performance. Now I'm looking around for an origional Avanti Astroplane to put up. Thank you to all of you that contributed to the many Astroplane threads.
Good luck finding a original one. I can tell you this i bought a new original Avanti one and it came out of Europe, I bought it new about 2015, There was at that time a warehouse where there was a large stock of all sorts of old NOS Avanti antennas
that was found and were sold in Europe. That would be a great place to do some searching as i do know that at that time some of the guys bought extras to have
for spares, I will look around to see if i still have the name and email of the guy that
i made contact with. Anyways good luck on the hunt and I will say i have enjoyed my' Astroplane fully it works great locally and just as good for DX.

Hairball, below is a You Tube video, I made back in the days, that compares my Old Avanti A/P with a full length 1/4 Wave radiator and my Sirio New Top One (A/P) with a gamma match to tune.

I tested as best I was able, using the receive meter readings for both antennas, using an Avanit switch box, Again, I was comparing receive signals only and recording the numbers in my notes. I was working only local buddies out to 60+ miles away, using my Galaxy 2547. I also didn't reveal my testing at the time.

The receive signals were about the same reading for both antennas, but I'd like for you to try and notice the difference I saw later for the meter readings of the NOISE FLOOR.

Original Avanti A/P 3-5.
Sirio New Top One A/P 0-1+

Good luck,

Eddie - Marconi

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.