• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ASYMOD

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I'm looking for a clip of a Asymod rig which was purchesed from ASYMOD or someone who purchased the module and installed it their own rig.
I've been looked on YouTube, but can't find one. I'd like to hear one while someone was making a video gate. A real world demonstration if you will. There obviously are people who are buying them. But the only clips I can find arr the ones the guy who builds them posts. I would like to hear one from someone who is actually receiving a signal and audio from someone using one (any one of the Asymod's.) Does anyone here own one or know someone who does? Are you happy with it's performance? If anyone comes across a real world clip showing how they sound, pleas post it or share the link. You could pm it to me if you don't want to post it. Even if the person who made the clip did so with a stock receiver, and not one setup to hear wide banded audio. Anything real world Asymod is fine. Much appreciated. 73.

Bro , Motormouth Maul has tons of Gates, also a bunch of clips of Mauldulator builds on YouTube . Asymod is a copy of Motormouth Mauls first Mauldulator board. Stand alone Asymod cases are 3D printed, feels pretty cheap

Bro , Motormouth Maul has tons of Gates, also a bunch of clips of Mauldulator builds on YouTube . Asymod is a copy of Motormouth Mauls first Mauldulator board. Stand alone Asymod cases are 3D printed, feels pretty cheap
I think the Asymod guy made a "new" revision or updated clone of the MMM board, as you know the first incarnation required +/- voltage rails from an external supply.

Sonar,
I found two videos demonstrating Asymod that aren't from the "support channel".
One had a slightly flawed demonstration (no processing or limiting), and the other willfully misrepresents the product through misadjustment.

Last edited:
I think the Asymod guy made a "new" revision or updated clone of the MMM board, as you know the first incarnation required +/- voltage rails from an external supply.

Sonar,
I found two videos demonstrating Asymod that aren't from the "support channel".
One had a slightly flawed demonstration (no processing or limiting), and the other willfully misrepresents the product through misadjustment.
Nah bro, Jose uses a buck converter for the dual supplies and the 24 volts from the radios supply. MMM now uses a buck converter to boost the radio supply up to 30v for his single supply second version. All Asymod has done so far is add some lights and some audio tailoring crap like EQ and a compressor. Jose ain’t doing nothing new. Still old version board repackaged. New Mauldulator is still in testing stages. Dual Asymmetry controls so far as I’ve seen. Second version works much smoother then the first(Asymod) in my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar and LeapFrog
Nah bro, Jose uses a buck converter for the dual supplies and the 24 volts from the radios supply. MMM now uses a buck converter to boost the radio supply up to 30v for his single supply second version. All Asymod has done so far is add some lights and some audio tailoring crap like EQ and a compressor. Jose ain’t doing nothing new. Still old version board repackaged. New Mauldulator is still in testing stages. Dual Asymmetry controls so far as I’ve seen. Second version works much smoother then the first(Asymod) in my opinion
10-4 Brother, nobody here is doing anything new! (I mean that kindly)
Jose should make a public apology for being a thief c*nt, I don't care how old the solid state modulator is!
His copying of the PCB and then selling them on eBay is a "pirate's tale" if I ever heard one.

You said 24 Volts from the radio, did you mean to say he boosted the supply voltage from the radio's 13.8 V to 24V ? (y)

The 24 to 30 Volts really allows this modification to work great!
It'll be QRP status if you supply the collectors of the Darlington configuration with only 13.8 Volts; that wouldn't leave any headroom if you wanted to run a substantial carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar
I'm looking for a clip of a Asymod rig which was purchesed from ASYMOD or someone who purchased the module and installed it their own rig.
I've been looked on YouTube, but can't find one. I'd like to hear one while someone was making a video gate. A real world demonstration if you will. There obviously are people who are buying them. But the only clips I can find arr the ones the guy who builds them posts. I would like to hear one from someone who is actually receiving a signal and audio from someone using one (any one of the Asymod's.) Does anyone here own one or know someone who does? Are you happy with it's performance? If anyone comes across a real world clip showing how they sound, pleas post it or share the link. You could pm it to me if you don't want to post it. Even if the person who made the clip did so with a stock receiver, and not one setup to hear wide banded audio. Anything real world Asymod is fine. Much appreciated. 73.

A recording isn't really helpful. What the asymod or mauldulator does is give you a blank canvas to work with. How it sounds is determined by how you set up your audio gear.

I have a couple of them and a homemade mauldulator copy. They work as advertised. How they sound and perform is up to the user. Some guys get it and sound good. Others don't and will sound horrible.

A recording isn't really helpful. What the asymod or mauldulator does is give you a blank canvas to work with. How it sounds is determined by how you set up your audio gear.

I have a couple of them and a homemade mauldulator copy. They work as advertised. How they sound and perform is up to the user. Some guys get it and sound good. Others don't and will sound horrible.
100%!
studio_audio.jpg
I bought an Alesis 3630 Compressor/Limiter for $50
& I paid about $50 for the Behringer Sonic Exciter SX3040 from a friend.

The Neewer NW-800 microphone is super cheap and sounds great for the price IMHO, they can be had for $20-$35 depends if you opt for the phantom power supply.
Pro Tip: avoid the Chinese PSU, you want to use a quality unit.

Edit: I will add an equalizer to the rack next so that I can bypass the "Sonic Exciter" and still have control over my bandwidth.

I have about $20 into the modulator build itself not including the hand made pcb.
(by CB Phreaker)

Shout-Out to Reverend Bow & Bastard Modulation Engineering for inspiration!

I'm getting the 29 LX ready to be able to switch between the built-in pre-amp and the external gear, it was "thrown together" without any consideration made to audio switching, bare bones....
Shame I didn't make any recordings before taking the radio down to add a transistor for audio switching.
Open_Asymmetry_Wabi_Sabi.jpg

Oh what fun, get it all setup, find any offending hum and attempt to eliminate it completely.
Twist the knobs, get it sounding good and looking clean; then twist the knobs again to mess it up, lol.
Set it and forget it!

For the keen observant.. the knob positions in the photo are not how I operate the setup.

Keep RF out of the audio chain!
https://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Pin_1_Revisited.pdf

Last edited:
I'm familiar with MMM, and have heard many clips of operator's, and their MMM installed rigs. The thing about the Asymod over the MMM is that one could purchase an Asymod ready to go transceiver. MMM doesn't offer this option. If I decide to go this route it's simpler for me to just buy a "ready" to go transceiver. If I decide to retro fit my Madison I might go with an MMM. Either way this won't be happening tomorrow. I need to get my antenna back up first. Even after that there is a few other things that need attention first. I'm kinda doing some homework.

10-4 Brother, nobody here is doing anything new! (I mean that kindly)
Jose should make a public apology for being a thief c*nt, I don't care how old the solid state modulator is!
His copying of the PCB and then selling them on eBay is a "pirate's tale" if I ever heard one.

You said 24 Volts from the radio, did you mean to say he boosted the supply voltage from the radio's 13.8 V to 24V ? (y)

The 24 to 30 Volts really allows this modification to work great!
It'll be QRP status if you supply the collectors of the Darlington configuration with only 13.8 Volts; that wouldn't leave any headroom if you wanted to run a substantial carrier.
When you say substantial carrier, are you referring to the transceivers output, or use of an amplifier? I'm assuming you're referring to the transceivers carrier.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Radios supply, 12v-14.5 , whatever you dial it up to is your radios ceiling(headroom). 2 watt carrier, 10 or so watts of headroom. 5 watt carrier , 7 watts of headroom. With a ceiling of 24-30 volts connected to the supply side of a Darlington, you now have tons of headroom to grow from with different carrier levels. Take your Madison for example, isolate the supply side of the Darlington from the radios supply, connect 24-30 volts to it, now you got tons of headroom for NPC or any other carrier altering mods. Direct inject it and you got a poormans Mauldulator

Apparently there is a market for it. I don't really see a downside to competition.
Copy and paste is nothing new...especially in the CB world.
Yes, the "Open Asymmetry Project" borrows somethings from the Cobra 148 GTL.
I've found documents dating to 1971 with this transistor arrangement, I'm sure older examples exist in written history.

"Poor man's mauldulator", I like that! (it requires diligence though)
You really have to know what the hell is going on to make everything work smooth, people won't be able to get this kind of modification performed at the local hack n' tune stop, too many end-user variables at play.. Plus D.I. doesn't automatically ensure asymmetrical modulation, plenty of "wide-band audio" stations exist with less than 100% positive modulation peaks.

Last edited:
When you say substantial carrier, are you referring to the transceivers output, or use of an amplifier? I'm assuming you're referring to the transceivers carrier.
Radio's output.
I use an amplifier with all my "AM Regulator" modified rigs, but I run small amps and 2 Watts "swinging 12" presents no problem.
I have used a Mean Well supply up to 28 Volts, but I really don't need it.

Last edited:
Yes, the "Open Asymmetry Project" borrows somethings from the Cobra 148 GTL.
I've found documents dating to 1971 with this transistor arrangement, I'm sure older examples exist in written history.

"Poor man's mauldulator", I like that! (it requires diligence though)
You really have to know what the hell is going on to make everything work smooth, people won't be able to get this kind of modification performed at the local hack n' tune stop, too many end-user variables at play.. Plus D.I. doesn't automatically ensure asymmetrical modulation, plenty of "wide-band audio" stations exist with less than 100% positive modulation peaks.
He"s selling it as a gimmicky super modulation. But the audio should be fairly flat and I bet it sound excellent..but I never heard one.
Great idea to sell it as a package. I'm sure I would have bought one 20 years ago if it was available. Beats the hell out of all the hv modulation xfmrs over the years.

He"s selling it as a gimmicky super modulation. But the audio should be fairly flat and I bet it sound excellent..but I never heard one.
Great idea to sell it as a package. I'm sure I would have bought one 20 years ago if it was available. Beats the hell out of all the hv modulation xfmrs over the years.

Yes "plastic" is so much lighter to carry around! :D
The audio is probably great, I'm sure (like D.I.) it's close to MMM, the mod I like to play with can get people there also, even the silly "extreme modulation" (300%) is possible.

If I had the money I would have just bought a board, but the "poorness" forces one to tinker. I've been modifying and resurrecting machines for most of my formative years.
I love it.

#GoodAudioForAll
Keep on doing what you're doing, brother!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.