• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AUTEK WM 1

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Is anyone familiar with this meter and it's 12 volt power input?
I've looked at as much information as I could and like the idea of a good meter that has two separate analog meters as opposed to the cross needles (I don't like cross needle meters).
I also looked at the operating manual and many pictures as I could find on the web but only saw one with the power cord hooked up.
the one I saw seemed to be hard wired.
Does it have an input for a wall wart type plug?
If there's anything you know about this meter from use of it please share. Thank you. 73

Is anyone familiar with this meter and it's 12 volt power input?
I've looked at as much information as I could and like the idea of a good meter that has two separate analog meters as opposed to the cross needles (I don't like cross needle meters).
I also looked at the operating manual and many pictures as I could find on the web but only saw one with the power cord hooked up.
the one I saw seemed to be hard wired.
Does it have an input for a wall wart type plug?
If there's anything you know about this meter from use of it please share. Thank you. 73
There is a big old thread started by Robb on here. Wavrider said he had 3 of them, so maybe he will chime in.

Brett

Reactions: Sonar
How y
More accurate that the Dosy meter I used to work with . . .
How is the wm 1 you use powered? Is it hard wired or does it have an input for the 12 volts.
From the information I've gathered I can't tell.
I'm assuming there's a input for the power lines. Whether it be a +- or a wall wort plug in type I can't tell.
It seems like exactly what the doctor ordered.
I really want to stay away from the cross needle type meter.
The wm 1 seems well built and accurate from what I've read. A really nice mete.
Knowing how many meters Dawia, mfj and all the other mediocre to garbage meters sold it baffles me why they went under.
It baffles me more that another company just doesn't build one with the wm 1 specs.
It's also a nice looking meter. Thanks. 73

How y

How is the wm 1 you use powered? Is it hard wired or does it have an input for the 12 volts.
From the information I've gathered I can't tell.
I'm assuming there's a input for the power lines. Whether it be a +- or a wall wort plug in type I can't tell.
It seems like exactly what the doctor ordered.
I really want to stay away from the cross needle type meter.
The wm 1 seems well built and accurate from what I've read. A really nice mete.
Knowing how many meters Dawia, mfj and all the other mediocre to garbage meters sold it baffles me why they went under.
It baffles me more that another company just doesn't build one with the wm 1 specs.
It's also a nice looking meter. Thanks. 73

Read the reviews on eham. I think customer service was a bit crotchety. ;)

I came real close to buying one several times, but when I bought a Palstar tuner, it had a fairly accurate meter built in. It's cross needle though, so you probably wouldn't like it.

Brett

It uses an external wall wart type power supply.
The LP-100A is the top of the heap; but pricey . . .

http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html
If my station was correct I'd purchase the the LP 100 a in a heartbeat (maybe a future consideration). Here's my problem and with some luck my antenna at the proper height (or close but certainly better than 7') will be the cure of all or most of my stations ill's.
Here is the imax 2000 at the infamously low height of 7'
I purchased an eaves mount. With a 5' mast the imax will be approximately 23' above the ground which is I hope is close enough to the proper wavelength. A newroof stops me from putting it there. Thanks. 7320160810_163221~3.jpg 20160810_163223.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Read the reviews on eham. I think customer service was a bit crotchety. ;)

I came real close to buying one several times, but when I bought a Palstar tuner, it had a fairly accurate meter built in. It's cross needle though, so you probably wouldn't like it.

Brett
My just purchased ft 950's got an AT but I've no plans to get a ticket (future maybe) so strictly 11 meters and with an imax property installed i should be fine.
And you're correct about the cross needle meters. I have a dislike for them. I'm not sure if it's just me or there's others that prefer pre cross needle designed saw/power meters. Thanks. 73.

If my station was correct I'd purchase the the LP 100 a in a heartbeat (maybe a future consideration). Here's my problem and with some luck my antenna at the proper height (or close but certainly better than 7') will be the cure of all or most of my stations ill's.
Here is the imax 2000 at the infamously low height of 7'
I purchased an eaves mount. With a 5' mast the imax will be approximately 23' above the ground which is I hope is close enough to the proper wavelength. A newroof stops me from putting it there. Thanks. 73View attachment 18531 View attachment 18530
It should work just fine.

Brett

My just purchased ft 950's got an AT but I've no plans to get a ticket (future maybe) so strictly 11 meters and with an imax property installed i should be fine.
And you're correct about the cross needle meters. I have a dislike for them. I'm not sure if it's just me or there's others that prefer pre cross needle designed saw/power meters. Thanks. 73.

We all like what we like. Obviously there are plenty of guys like you that prefer dual meters over cross needles, or Autek wouldn't have made and sold as many as they did. Should be a safe one to buy and will work for you pn the other bands once you get your ticket.

Brett

More accurate that the Dosy meter I used to work with . . .
Robb. Not that I could build a meter but I'm sure many of you can.
I'm also convinced one with the knowledge could build a meter that work just as well or better than the high end one's for a fraction of the price.
I've never read of someone here attempting or actually building one.
In your opinion is is not cost affective? Most newbies like myself spend $100-$200 on a Dosey of Dawia that are mediocre at best (From what I read). I would also venture to say it's not only the newbies that purchase these meters but seasoned amateur radio operators also.
Is the bottom line having to spend $500 or more to get a meter that's accurate?
Why companies such as the ones I mentioned can't build a meter at a decent price that works well or at least above the meteoric ones they sell for $200+? I read articles on this site about members building amplifiers and doing modifications, rebuilds ect ect With great skill and excellent end products. So why aren't people building them. Or are they and I just haven't read about it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.