• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AUTEK WM 1

And I thought my IMAX setup was poor @ 12ft. I did OK in cycle 24 at this height so don't feel left out when cycle 25 starts up again in 2019. See link for 11m contacts I was able to make from western Canada; http://tinyurl.com/bsl6rxa
Thanks for the link. I saved the DL. Truth be told the calibration reads very straight forward but I could only fxxk thing's up. I need to send my Tec a transceiver and will pack both the wm 1 and mfj. Who knows maybe he can actually get the MFJ to read with some accuracy (+5-%). Maybe that's wishful thinking. I will hook up the wm 1 any day through a dummy load and unlike the 828 I'm hoping to see 1.1:1. The 828 shows 1.5:1 The cross needle reading is 1.37 on the digital side. That's also with a dummy load. My cheap workman and Micronta show negligible at 1.1:1 With the same DL and transceiver at 2 watts. Thanks. 73

2 things come to mind Sonar. Is your dummy load a known good one? Not a cheap one. A good one. And also know they can vary in impedance which will skew VSWR readings. Read the manual that wavrider posted about your WM1 meter. The 2nd issue is RFI. It's on page 2, #4 paragraph. The other issue about dummy loads is on page 1, paragraph D, which talks about dummy loads. Read both very carefully and if you are using a cheap dummy load or on that has been damaged from being dropped or overheated, this may be your issue, or it could be the other issue stated. That is if you are connected to the antenna. Hope some of this helps and you get things straightened out.
You may also want to try using a radio that will dead key at least 4 watts or more. I know the WM1 says it can read at power levels as low as 1/2 watt, but I have found that too low a power level and some meters won't read correctly. Might be why your MFJ meter isn't reading correctly. Again, that or your dummy load night be bad or just off as well. It's definitely possible.
I would try using a stock radio that will dead key at least 4 watts before I sent anything out though. Just some food for thought. Hope you get all your issues resolved. Have a good one and I truly hope some of this helps.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    685.7 KB · Views: 5
And as far as making contents with the antenna at a low height. This may be due to actual ground elevation and not the height off the ground of the antenna or just good conditions. Not to say that Klondike Mike is wrong about anything, but there are other variables that have to be considered. I am not an expert on antenna theory and such, so don't flame me please. Just trying to help.
Read the manual very closely that wavrider posted about your Autek meter. It may shed some light on the subject. You may have 2 bad meters, but I think there are other issues as well that might be skewing your readings. Be it too low a dead key power, RFI, or a bad dummy load. Again, just some food for thought. And I truly hope it helps in some way. Again, have a good one.
Sean.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.