• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Automatic Power OFF 12vdc

Get a high current 12 vot relay like those used for aux. lighting. Wire the coil to ground and a switched 12 volt source from the fuse panel. Run a power wire from the battery to one of the normally open relay contacts and the radio gear to the other. Now when the truck starts the relay pulls in and supplies power to the radio. When you turn the key off the 12 volts drops out the relay opens up and cuts off power to the radio gear.

You can add a timer using a capacitor, transistor, and a variable resistor but no voltage sensing. If you want all that then spend the $69.99. Using a simple relay costs maybe $10 and you don't need voltage sensing or time delay IMO. Why would you need it? In a vehicle I used to won I ran a 12 volt buss from the battery back to a small board loaded with fuses and a large relay. I had access to both constant and switched 12 volts this way. When I started the vehicle power was switched to three radios, a radar detector, and a stereo amp. When I turned the key off they all shut down. If i wanted to listen to a radio without the vehicle running I moved the ignition key into the ACC. position and the relay pulled in turning everything on. I can't really think of a reason to have your radio turn off after you shut off the ignition and exit the car, walk halfway across the yard .............

A simple capacitor and resistor will only allow you maybe 10-15 seconds or so depending on the values. With a transistor you can achieve a delay of well over a minute or even up to two minutes or more with manageable values of capacitance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.