• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Automotive light bulb polarity?

i kind of feel like i'm preaching to the choir here.

you know the bulbs make the power supply fault, right?

have you tried these same bulbs on an automotive 12V battery?
if not, do so.

the problem that i see is that the protection circuit of the pyramid power supply will not allow current to flow because it sees the load (bulb) as a short.

not all power supplies will fault on a bulb and you "may" have luck at testing your bulbs on your "big scary" astron since it has a slightly different protection circuit.

I know for a fact that my old antique tripplite would run anything you threw at it mainly because of its badly designed protection.
On the other hand, my pyramid 12A and pyramid 20A supplies would sometimes fault when a motor or bulb was connected.

My suggestion is to use a 12V battery to test your bulbs.
The battery will still "see" the bulb as a short but since it has no protection it will still send current and light the filament

Those high intensity automotive bulbs usually draw more than 14 amps (your power supply's 'surge' limit). I'd say try that 50 amp supply, that should light it up.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
No extra battery. But ill try the astron later.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No extra battery. But ill try the astron later.

im trying to help you but your not listing to what i tryed to advise you to do .
remove the wire off of ya power supply and hook it to your car battery or someone elses car battery to see if the bulbs work . if they work , then you no that your power supply doesn't like the surge the bulbs give off . lets get on with this stuff already breakaaaaaaaaaa . :bdh:

Try a different load on the power supply. Perhaps the power supply is faulty. I had a power supply that would show normal output until any type of load was connected and then it would shut down. The regulator circuit was bad. Try a radio or other load that draws a few amps preferably something around 5 or 6 amps but just NOT a light bulb.

im trying to help you but your not listing to what i tryed to advise you to do .
remove the wire off of ya power supply and hook it to your car battery or someone elses car battery to see if the bulbs work . if they work , then you no that your power supply doesn't like the surge the bulbs give off . lets get on with this stuff already breakaaaaaaaaaa . :bdh:

sorry. Didn't forget aboutcha ! I tried it and the ones I tried on the power supply light up fine on the battery in my truck.

Try a different load on the power supply. Perhaps the power supply is faulty. I had a power supply that would show normal output until any type of load was connected and then it would shut down. The regulator circuit was bad. Try a radio or other load that draws a few amps preferably something around 5 or 6 amps but just NOT a light bulb.

Okay I have a few dc motors and other random stuff "packrat" in box somewhere.

sorry. Didn't forget aboutcha ! I tried it and the ones I tried on the power supply light up fine on the battery in my truck.

Okay I have a few dc motors and other random stuff "packrat" in box somewhere.

you give me a call personally some time you here . i steer ya in the right direction . its hard to beat a technician and a master . have a super fine weekened . :w00t::sleep::D<gotproof>

If your power supply has an adjustable Crow Bar circuit it may be adjusted too low or is faulty.
The lamp may well draw less than 5 amps but if the Crow Bar circuit does not like the current spike level at inital power up when the resistance is lower it may well kick it off/out.
These supplies are designed to be sensitive to normal electronic loads for equipment protection and safety not for loads from an auto application.
A way to tell this is to put a low value resistance 1 or 2 ohms of at least 10 watt rating in series to begin the lamp power then shunt across it for full voltage.
If the supply holds you know what is happening.
These supplies are so sensitive that you can short the terminals and hardly see a spark, the shut down circuit is that fast so there is no damage only a reset to be done.
Good luck.

If your bulbs serve as a hi/lo beam combo then both terminals are positive and there is another connection for your negative.

If your bulbs serve as a hi/lo beam combo then both terminals are positive and there is another connection for your negative.

PicsArt_1338174210716.jpg

:d

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.