1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Avanti Sigma II

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by w9cll, Jun 25, 2020.

1. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

2. edfiero

edfiero Member

Nice antenna but he is out of line on the price.

Tokin likes this.
  3. KneeBiter

KneeBiter Active Member

I'd buy that if he was local

4. techradioman

techradioman Active Member

Not even close to being worth it, the Penetrator or others are better at about 1/2 the price.

5. w9cll

While I agree about the price the Sigma was a far better antenna then the Penetrator.

dave457 likes this.
  6. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I'm glad I'm a cold-hearted, non sentimental dude with reactivate attachment disorder.

wavrider likes this.
  7. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

You're lucky Mudfoot, the cure requires you surround yourself with caring, consoling, nurturing, relatives, friends, and left leaning sociologists.

#7 Marconi, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  8. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Well-Known Member

Do you have measured field strength measurements to support this?

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

9. w9cll

nope just personal experience from days gone by

10. Jay Mojave

Hello Cll: Rodger dat! Ive done some antenna comparison testing and when I find one antenna significantly hotter than another by 6 to 10 dB I know Ive done something wrong. Some sort of little animal eating one of the long lengths of coax, or one antenna not assembled correctly. The best one was NOT connected the coax to the antenna, oh good. A 179dB difference.

Was hopping for some hot info here. When looking around at the different antennas and such I picked up Avanti Sigma II in pieces and I didn't like the internal design, as I think it wouldn't handle higher power levels, due to the close spacing of the internal wiring. But never tested it, due to missing parts. Probably a good antenna tho.

11. Marconi

I think I remember Bob85 claiming his Avante Sigma II was a very good 5/8 wave antenna back in the days.

12. w9cll

Around here in Chicago Avanti was king, maybe it has something to do with the fact they were made here. While in my CB days I chose to run a Big Stick most of the other ops had a Sigma II up in the air.

13. snippits75

snippits75 Active Member

Friend of mine has one, and it works good. He calls it his whipping stick. Handles a Drake L4B just fine.

14. Jay Mojave

Yes Avanti was a big deal back in the 60's and 70's people would drive all over to see a PDLII or Moonraker 4 or 6 go up Even custom Moonraker 8 elements went up, one not being to far from Henry Radio in Los Angles.

The Penetrator 500 or SPT-500 usually arc over at the vertical element just as it comes thru the top insulator and can eat the insulator at around 3000 to 3500 watts. See Extreme CB, Big fuse in the sky. This is a good indicator of loss in the design. I am sure the Sigma 2 will also arc in its close spacing.

Marconi likes this.
  15. Marconi

Good information Jay. I just posted a question to Ranch55. He has a modification that may help solve the arc problem. See link below.

New spt500 gamma