• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

B&K 2040

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
In my quest to learn radio repair and my frugal habits of refusing to pay a fortune for a signal tracer on the bay that may not work.
I was looking thru the manual for my 2040 signal generator and noticed that you can inject a 455kHZ tone.
Has anyone here used this method for trouble shooting? and if so could you point me in the right direction..

you msaid you did not want to buy a signal tracer and want to use the 2040. the 2040 injects the tone but you still need a signal tracer to check where you lose it at. the manual explains how to inject the tone. you still need a signal tracer

Reactions: 2FB327
Signal tracer is a very simple device. An amplified speaker with a probe coupled to it will work. Radio Shack made a "mini amplified speaker" that I have used many times. Google DIY signal tracer and you will see just how easy they are to build.
http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/build/diyradio.html

The 455KHz output in the 2040 is just that. If you have a dead receiver you use the 455 generator to inject the signal in to the radio. If receive is restored you then know the problem was in the 455Khz stage.

Reactions: 2FB327
Thank you, I remember seeing a tube video on building one, wish I had bought one before the stores closed, they had a stack of them, lesson learned.
I have made a probe from a sharpie so I'm half way there. I do have a pair of old desktop computer speakers that plug in and have a volume switch, perhaps I can use that. I did look on the bay they want over $30 for the radio shack one.

Thank you, I remember seeing a tube video on building one, wish I had bought one before the stores closed, they had a stack of them, lesson learned.
I have made a probe from a sharpie so I'm half way there. I do have a pair of old desktop computer speakers that plug in and have a volume switch, perhaps I can use that. I did look on the bay they want over $30 for the radio shack one.

Desk top speakers from a PC works great

Thanks, your videos are great. Perhaps some day we will see one on making one of these.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.