• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bad Tube?

Fino

Oct 16, 2009
Just tried a two tube amp (6LQ6's) one tube was already in it looked new, the other was tested and is good both glow. When I try to transmit watt meter needle quickly barely moves then back to nothing would bad tube do this?

Relay looks clean and moves freely, and no loss of receive. Has been sitting a while was going to take to shop to be checked out before even trying usually do with tube amps. It also has some amateurish soldering around the relay for shop to address. But thought if it could be tube would try another just to see what id does before sending off. After it sits awhile I'll try cleaning relay.

have you tried moving the tune and load knobs?had to ask.if its detuned it wont put out much power ,sometimes none at all.

From your description, it -might- be a bad tube(s). But there are a few other things it might be too. Give the 'shop' a chance to figure it out. I hope you trust them, and that they at least have an idea of what they're doing with that older type amplifier. Having been through that with sweep tubes, I think your best bet would be another amplifier. There's really no benefit to them, and will never be as cheap to operate as something that doesn't use sweep tubes. Suit yourself...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.