• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baluns, baluns, baluns

Pman62

Nov 20, 2017
I have researching home brewed baluns and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. As far as 1:1 current baluns go, I have seen bifilar and trifilar wound designs. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either design?

Err.... I guess I may have had a senior moment. The trifilar wound baluns are voltage baluns, not current baluns. So, I guess I got my answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307

I have researching home brewed baluns and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. As far as 1:1 current baluns go, I have seen bifilar and trifilar wound designs. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either design?

Err.... I guess I may have had a senior moment. The trifilar wound baluns are voltage baluns, not current baluns. So, I guess I got my answer.

As additional info: The voltage balun is good for a balanced load such as a dipole, whereas the current balun can be used for either balanced or unbalanced applications. A 4:1 or 6:1 current balun is best used for an Off-Center-Fed-Dipole (OCFD) antenna, depending on the antennas height. The 4:1 or 6:1 can be used on an OCFD by itself if the power level is 200 Watts or less. When going above it is suggested to add a 1:1 current balun usually built with two ferrite cores and RG-142/U or RG-303/U coax. More windings applied provide better isolation at low frequencies (i.e., 160 and 80 meters). Use a Reisert winding to provide a convenient mechanical input and output format. The Reisert winding is where the first half of the winding is brought back to the initial start point and then continued until the other half of the core is wound. This will provide an input on one side, and the output on the other side.

Mike

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've just started back in on this hobby after a long time and I realize just how much I've forgotten. Hell, it's been a good 17 years since I last switched on my o scope. I'm probably going to have to go through all my test equipment with a can of Deoxit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated