• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BaoFeng UV-5R Owners

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
Hey guys,

I plan on purchasing a BaoFeng UV-5R for scanning purposes. Will I be able to receive the frequencies it lists without the programming cable?

Thanks

It can be programmed without the cable. I did mine without one. R&L has them for 28 bucks shipped right now.
Rich

I wanted to listen to the local PD and repeaters in the area. Not so much scanning, just a few specific frequencies. I didn't think about the PD having a trunking system. :( Anything that has trunking capabilities under 50 bucks?

I wanted to listen to the local PD and repeaters in the area. Not so much scanning, just a few specific frequencies. I didn't think about the PD having a trunking system. :( Anything that has trunking capabilities under 50 bucks?
Nope, not new and odds are not used.

Thought so... Thanks
For what it's worth, I keep all the local police and fire frequencies programed into my baofeng. I got the information from radio reference. You can manually program them into the memory channels. It works well enough if you live in a small town and hear some sirens and wanna know what's going on. You can flip through the memory channels much faster than scanning too.

Be glad you live in an area where you can still receive Police/Fire and public information Frequencies(Analog)... 214...
For that many of the Chinese HT's make good scanners...

However if you live in a State or local like Indiana where the State Government has allocated Countless Millions and Millions of Taxpayers dollars to operating Encrypted Digital Trunking systems via radio and VPN computer systems to make it almost impossible to monitor their transmissions...(where it takes scanners that cost in excess of $500 to $1000 to monitor them) not to mention constant software upgrades to these scanners to track their ever changing Encryption upgrades and frequency shift patterns (Thank You Motorola!)
The Chinese Ht's are worthless here except for the fugal Amateur operator...

Some Cites and locals in the US have had systems designed where as the most sophisticated scanners can not track or monitor them...(I think San Antonia, TX may have one?)...

I thought the "Airways belonged to the People"....OH forgot...Cell Phones changed that rule !!! :)
All the Best
Gary

I am in agreement with the Baofeng's being too slow for purposeful scanning. You can listen online for free with some good apps out there. Not a bad way to go of there is someone streaming from your area.

Otherwise, I would look at some of the normal mfg's. Uniden, Whistler, etc.

Brett

Reactions: Flatout214
I just downloaded an app for scanning (free). Works great! Even for digital and P25 systems. We'll see how much data it uses when not on WiFi. :) Thanks.

Reactions: 2RT307
I just downloaded an app for scanning (free). Works great! Even for digital and P25 systems. We'll see how much data it uses when not on WiFi. :) Thanks.
I travel a lot and have the app on my phone. That way if weather gets bad, I can tune in just about anywhere. It can also give you an idea of what is out there to listen to. If you have a special interest like aviation or railroad, you can buy a scanner and program it for that.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.