• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5R Plus Kit 136-174/400-520MHz review

hunstoms

BANNED
Sep 7, 2013
Saw a review in this forum about Baofeng UV 5R, since the 5R plus has just arrived(i ordered it from radioddity.com )
maybe need to review to make the comparision between them.

1.full picture of baofeng UV-5R plus
tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo10_250.jpg

Frequency Range: 65MHz-108MHz(only commercial FM radio reception)
136-174 MHz and 400-520 MHz (TX/RX)
Channel No. 128
Frequency Stability :±2.5ppm
frenquency step: 2.5MHz/5MHz/6.25MHz/10MHz/12.5MHz/25MHz
Antenna:High gain Dual-Band Antenna
Antenna Impedance:50Ω
Dimension(W x H x D)100 x 52 x 32 mm
weight:130g
Transmitter
Output power:4W / 1W (Max 5W)
Modulation Mode:16kΦF3E / 11kΦF3E
Maximum deviation: <5kHz(Wide) / <2.5kHz(Narrow)
Spurious Radiation:<7μW
Adjacent Ch. power:≤-65dB(Wide) / ≤-60dB(Narrow)
Pre-emphasis characteristics:6dB
Current:≤1.6A(5W)
CTCSS/DCS deviation:0.5±0.1kHz(Wide) / 0.3±0.1kHz(Narrow)
Intermediation sensitivity:8-12mv
Intermediation distortion:<10

the picture of everything
tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo6_1280.jpg

The left side has the typical PTT, "CALL", and "MONI" buttons,almost the same with 5R, but different in design
tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo4_1280.jpg

The top of the radio is where you find the flashlight and On/Off/Volume knob
tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo7_1280.jpg

the display with broadcast radio on
tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mswbipFETd1sqiwwyo3_1280.jpg

I don't have Baofeng 5R, so i can't tell the detailed differences between them maybe you guys can give your opinions.

more close-up pictures of 5R+
tumblr_msy6e95y5r1sqiwwyo1_500.jpg

tumblr_msy6e95y5r1sqiwwyo4_250.jpg

tumblr_msy6e95y5r1sqiwwyo7_250.jpg

tumblr_msy6e95y5r1sqiwwyo7_250.jpg

Last edited:

Did you get the programming cable and try to connect to the radio? I've got Windows 8 and the drivers wouldn't work. I tried all the drivers on the web site....nothing worked. Finally removed all the drivers from the computer and connected the cable and let Windows 8 use a generic driver and that worked.

I have Windows 8 as well. I had to go in device manager and updated the driver that way.

So far, all is smooth with CHIRP. I don't intend on even trying the OEM software.

Windows 8 blows...

I have a Plus and the regular UV-5R version. The Plus is a little prettier, and a little heavier than the regular one. Mine doesn't have as much transmit audio as the regular version, for whatever reason. All in all, hard to be one of these little HT's, no matter which version you get.

RT307

Good luck with the plus version
we have had nothing but problems since we loaded it up with freqs
called Amazon they said send it back its going back in the box and back to using my Bowstring 5R
my next HT will be a Yeasu

another thing about both the 5r and the plus they all bad about crossband
the kenwood and alinco i have all have the same freqs and no problems

another thing about both the 5r and the plus they all bad about crossbandthe kenwood and alinco i have all have the same freqs and no problems

The Baofeng's do not cross-band at all, never designed for it. I think everyone expects too much from these radios, they are what they are a cheap cheap radio that works. Think of them as two single band radios in one package. I have had mine for two years now without a single issue. Would I by another? In a heartbeat! They are what they are and do what they do. Want an HT that does more, then yes buy a Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom or Alinco.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I own a new plus, for the money they cost, you can't beat them. They are a great little radio for the money. I got the camo one. It works great. I would recommend buying one. I will upload some pics of mine later today after I buy a new digital camera this morning.

Rocky

Maybe 5R + is not the best radio, but it is really a good radio for it's price.
I have used WouXun, but it is much expensive than Baofeng radio.
find a good deal for baofeng UV-5R plus just in time of father's day
what about $29.99 for baofeng 5R+

The Baofeng's do not cross-band at all, never designed for it. I think everyone expects too much from these radios, they are what they are a cheap cheap radio that works. Think of them as two single band radios in one package. I have had mine for two years now without a single issue. Would I by another? In a heartbeat! They are what they are and do what they do. Want an HT that does more, then yes buy a Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom or Alinco.

Recently bought the UV-82, and you can set 2 meters on the bottom freq, 440 on the top, or two on the same band if you want. It has a PTT button that you can trigger on the top side or the bottom side. Push up on the PTT button to transmit on the top frequency line, push down on the PTT to transmit on the bottom frequency line. Pretty cool, and it works every bit as good (or better) as the UV-5R.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated