• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5r VHF/UHF HT Review

Features

I am looking at purchasing the UV-5R and was hoping I could get some clarification a few of its features.

Is it programmable from the DTMF?

Can the display show Alpha characters?

Is it a better quality radio than the UV-3R?

Thanks.

I am looking at purchasing the UV-5R and was hoping I could get some clarification a few of its features.

Is it programmable from the DTMF?

Yes, you can program 15 DTMF memories. Of course, you can simply punch in whatever DTMF code you like while holding the PTT

Can the display show Alpha characters?

Yes

Is it a better quality radio than the UV-3R?

Yes, by far. It is much better built, more rugged, and overall a higher quality radio.

Basic Functionality

Continuing on with the review...

Overall, the UV-5R's functionality is very similar to the Wouxun line of radios. If you are familiar with the menu nomenclature of the Wouxuns, you will be able to pick up one of these Baofeng radios and figure it out pretty quickly. I also really like the ergonomics of this radio. The width and height are perfect for my hands with easy thumb access to the buttons. I find the little UV-3R sized radios too small to be comfortable, but the typical full sized HT to be just a bit wider than they need to be. The UV-5r is a happy median between both form factors.

The basic features of this radio work just as you would expect. However, there are a few issues that need to be discussed. First, the transmit audio is fairly low compared to other radios. I have to hold the radio right up against my lips to get enough deviation out of it. Even then, when I switch between this and another radio, everyone says the other radio is much louder and better sounding. Monitoring on another radio, I can hear that the gain is just too low. It's not that big of an issue once you figure out where to hold the radio, but the gain really does need to be cranked up and there's no way to do it.

The second issue is that the radio will not save an offset direction/frequency to memory from the radio interface. If you use the software, programming an offset direction and frequency works fine but it does not work using the radio interface. Other functions like CTCSS tones work fine.

I have a few radio features that I'm trying to figure out, so stay tuned...

Mine has good potent audio comparable to my Alinco HT. The receive audio is also nice. The volume remains audible when the volume knob is fully CCW, not sure if it's intential, but I like it that way. The PTT switch sticks out of the recess slightly and allows inadvertent keying.

When you set the offset via software the display will show both + - which is weird. The instructions state maximum battery efficiency is obtained after several charge/discharge cycles. I had 18 hours of receive time with maybe 8-10 minutes transmit on high power.

I received an email from my seller who confirmed the manual programing issue and is sending a replacement that is confirmed to program correctly without using the software.

Apparently there are 3 versions of this radio.

1. English voice only
2. Chinese voice only (mine)
3. Chinese/English selectable

It has a few kinks, but I do like it. I'll update once I receive my replacement.

Mole and m42, great review guys.

Hope there is some mod to get the gain set a bit higher "if possible". Sounds like a fun radio and the price seems fair too! 73

It may just be flukes between different builds. I have an Alinco DJ-175 that has superb transmit audio even when held 3-4" away. I tend to compare new HT's against it.

The Wouxun UVD1P that I had was weak and flat in comparison, while my Baofeng UV-3R is much better. A few of the locals stated my UV-5R was potent and clear sounding.

I really hope they get these bugs worked out soon. It feels like a mil spec piece of equipment in your hand.

I forgot to mention an important detail earlier. My unit is the Chinese voice only HT and was shipped with a 240V wall wart and a 120V adapter for the charging base.

The voltage/polarity sticker on the bottom states the center pin is negative. WARNING: it is in fact, POSITIVE. I just had a gut feeling that I'd better check it before I replaced it with a 110V wart from my junk box.

Reactions: 2 people
I forgot to mention an important detail earlier. My unit is the Chinese voice only HT and was shipped with a 240V wall wart and a 120V adapter for the charging base.

The voltage/polarity sticker on the bottom states the center pin is negative. WARNING: it is in fact, POSITIVE. I just had a gut feeling that I'd better check it before I replaced it with a 110V wart from my junk box.

Good catch man! I'd hate to read the next post from you; stating the radio went pOOf!~:p

Dual Watch Feature

The Dual Watch feature on this radio is one that I get asked about most often. On the UV-3r, the dual watch acted more like a priority watch function because the radio periodically switched to the other VFO to check activity and stayed on that VFO if it heard something. It wasn't truly a dual band receive.

This radio works a little differently. When you activated dual watch/dual reception, it is actively monitoring both VFOs. The VFOs cannot both be set to the same band, unless the radio is in memory mode (edited to add: hit the BAND button first to get in on the band you want and then you can have both VFOs on the same band). When a signal is detected on one of the VFO's, the radio squelch opens and you hear the transmission with no delay. The active VFO switches to the one receiving the signal so you can transmit back to that station if desired.

While this operating design is a vast improvement over the UV-3r, it still is somewhat limiting in some circumstances. For example, if I am transmitting through a crossband repeat rig that is inputting to a repeater, I might want to monitor the repeater on my handheld on one VFO and always transmit on another VFO. The method that the UV-5r uses makes this scenario a real hassle. Another example is that you might want to monitor your local PD/Fire frequency on one VFO and your local ham frequency on the other. If you're doing this, you really need to pay attention to which VFO is the active one before you key.

The bottom line is, the dual watch/receive function works and is a big improvement from the previous model, but it still isn't ideal.

Aha! I was wondering why it was doing that.

I would press the A/B button to make VHF primary and would then monitor while doing other stuff. Later, I noticed my selection would change. Thought I was insane in the membrane.

Baofeng and the others, need to get a big three RF enginer and software DEV to defect and inspect the schematics before a production run.

The VFOs cannot both be set to the same band, unless the radio is in memory mode.

Correction to what I posted above: The radio CAN be set to monitor the same band, but you have to press the BAND button first before entering the frequency. If you don't press the BAND button to get on the band you want, the radio just beeps at you when you key in the frequency.

Power Save Feature

Like the UV-3r, this radio has a power save feature that you can activate that will automatically reduce the TX power depending on the strength of the RX signal. Unlike the UV-3r, this radio has five level settings: Off, and 1-4. Unfortunately, the manual gives no indication of what settings one through four do. If I don't come across the information soon, I'll have to hook up a watt meter and try to do some scenario testing. Until then, how this feature works is a mystery to me.

Sooo...Besides the difference of size/hand comfort and TX quality - and all other features too - would you recommend the Baofeng or the Wouxun - Mole?

Right at this point in time, the Wouxun firmware is more refined. If Baofeng can get some updated firmware to correct the minor issues, it's hard to argue with price...nearly 1/2 of the others. If you don't mind just using the software to program your radio to live with a few firmware bugs, it's hard to argue with a $56 4 watt HT.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.