• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BaoFengs: amazing, or a sham?

Best buy for the buck that I've found.
Actually Jim I agree. I've had one in near daily use for 4 years.Just not the same one :)
I've soaked one that never came pack to life. I EMP'd one (Baofengs don't like the near field of high current AC TIG welding process) . And lost one to instantaneous high G disassembly :)

Otherwise I'm more than happy. I'm a bit like your Colombian farm worker. I'm hard on equipment. For the most part I'm more than happy with the Baofeng.

However...

For true dependability, for SHTF, has to work, life in the balance, I have KenYeaCom radios.

Has he ever owned one of these rigs??
At last count , including the three terminal cases, eight in total. Other than the occasional charger or battery failure and maybe the odd antenna they actually hold up surprisingly well.

Just bought a Retrevis RT-27v (MURS) for $16 to try out. Has basic 5 channels and 2 channels have the 2w and the rest are the lower wattage. Video test up online. Just watched last night.

So the RT-27v showed up quick.

Pics for you folks. About 9" tall. Antenna is permanent. I did note the channel changer says 1-15 but the selector STOPS at 5. Turns on and says "open to radio" when turned on and the current channel number. When you change channels it says the channel number. Apparently they are programmable but I don't see the point. 1100mah li-ion battery. Will be testing this week in a work environment.

5F7B7CA8-FCAF-4EB8-9305-22674427399B.jpeg 1A5093D1-C19A-434E-8276-83D2040E8DEC.jpeg 0567E74E-45F9-4262-BF0D-14372D3555C7.jpeg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
For true dependability, for SHTF, has to work, life in the balance, I have KenYeaCom radios.

I can't verify your complaint about front end selectivity on the UV-5R, because where we're at, there just isn't a lot of high power RF floating around. So for life in the balance, or has to work, I'll stick with my Baofengs. For SHTF, I suspect the massive EMPs will kill all wireless communication. So all we can do then is bend over and kiss our asses goodbye.

Its way more important to keep communication with family and friends than reciting rules and regulations. Just watch how much everyone is into the rules when some ones missing on a camping trip or driving across country.

During a long distance jeep run in the desert, we had to cover a CB channel, a VHF and a FRS channel as all the jeepers had different radios. Most all had modified Ham VHF/UHF and a CB Radios, and what communications we had, all of the almost 50 jeeps made home camp safely. That's the rule I was concerned about.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

What would you recommend for in a rig? I obviously already have the CB, but have considered the FRS/GMRS route as a secondary setup as I hear many clubs are going away from CB. I was considering something like the Midland MXT series at first, but as I have yet to run into a group using anything other than handhelds or CB, not sure. Running out West in my CJ is a bucket list item, so planning ahead.

Reactions: Littlears
I've been looking at the Midlands also, for the same reason, that and I live on a mountain with no cell service. Just dont know enough about them

I use a Alinco 735 that has both VHF and UHF Ham bands. I use a combiner to allow separate VHF and UHF Antennas. As I don't like the performance of a duel band antenna for mobile use. Its simple for me to use, as a simple minded radio operator.

I bought the radio used and it had been already modified to allow VHF MURS, and UHF FRS/GMRS channels. Always have it on low power I think its 5 watts. Dragging the microphone on the ground a few miles will cost ya about 60 dollars American plus shipping, dragging mic not recommended.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

Reactions: Cutlass327
Just some info on the Midland MXT mobile radios...

They are narrowband audio only, so they may sound quieter when received on a wideband receiver or repeater. Many radios (including the Baofengs) will have a menu option to switch between narrowband and wideband audio, but the MXT mobiles do not have that option. They sound fine when received on other NB radios (Midlands), but just be aware of that. GMRS was not mandated to narrow band, so most repeaters are running in wide band.

Also, the MXTs don’t allow you to select a separate tone for Encode/Decode, so you are stuck with the same tone (PL or DCS) for both encode/decode. Generally not an issue, but some GMRS repeater owners will program separate tones, and in that case, you would bring up a repeater, but you would not hear the repeater.

The early MXT275 radios (with the controls and speakermic in the microphone) had terribly low transmit audio. This seems to have been fixed in recent models. Don’t buy a used one without checking the TX audio first.

Interesting radios for the size, but not the price. You can get 15 to 20 % off when Midland runs a sales promotion, bringing the price down to a bit more reasonable cost.

The higher output (40 watt) MXT400 is just a rebranded Chinese UHF radio that is programmed for GMRS only. You can find the same or similar UHF radio for $100 less, and just program them for GMRS (yes, yes...they are not type accepted/certified by the FCC).

For road trips/overland adventures, you could consider a Midland MXT radio AND a President Bill FCC radio, which are both about the same size and would cover your adventure radios needs, while taking up less space than a conventional CB radio.

(The higher output (40 watt) MXT400 is just a rebranded Chinese UHF radio that is programmed for GMRS only. You can find the same or similar UHF radio for $100 less, and just program them for GMRS (yes, yes...they are not type accepted/certified by the FCC).)

How can I find those chinese radio's? Name? I can look on ebay but what to search for?

Last edited:
OK, so it looks like the UV-5R is highly programmable, if I buy a USB cable and run Chirp. It looks like the UV-5R can broadcast on FRS, but it's against FCC regulations because the wattage is too high. But if I can control the wattage with Chirp, then it seems like I could then bring the device within compliance, theoretically.

Plus, if I'm in a place where no one's using walkie-talkies, using an illicit walkie-talkie is a bit like jaywalking in the desert. I'm seeing posts where people say their fire department uses the UV-5R as a walkie-talkie, so I wonder if the illegality of the device is something that's just widely ignored.

I'm not clear on why the UV-5R is illegal to use as a MURS radio. Everything I've read says MURS doesn't have the same watt restriction as FRS, and you don't need a license to transmit on MURS. So why is this not a legal option?

Because the FCC says it's Illegal.That's good enough for me so I just go with that.I was a State Law Enforcement Officer for 30 years so I try & follow most of the Laws of the Land when possible.As my Grandfather who was a Chief of Police always said,Ignorance is No Excuse for the Law.
I currently own Four of the Baofeng HT's & they are OK for most & I prefer the UV-82 better than the UV5R.I am a Ham Operator so they are used where they were designed to be used.

SIX-SHOOTER

so they are used where they were designed to be used.
Agreed. If used in a responsible manner first, who is going to notice. Second, who cares?

Question though? Where were they designed to be used? Was there a design philosophy (theology?)? What was the purpose other than "we'll sell a million of them!"

Inquiring minds want to know!

[sarc]

Some ancient alien theorists say "yes".

The church of St. Hiram declares Baofengs "heresy".

Today with Joe Rogan, Ted Nugent "Baofengs are a second amendment right".

Terry Rakolta leads a campaign to eliminate Baofengs as a hazard to health, religion, and moral values.

Maxine Waters " This nation has struggled with how it was going to deal with Baofengs.. Every few years you will see some great change in the way that they approach this. We've had the war on CB radio that never really got into waging a real war on Baofengs."

Qrz.com starts another Baofeng thread due to exceed 500 posts before being locked due to political reference to toilet paper.

[/sarc]

Otherwise, who cares?

Agreed. If used in a responsible manner first, who is going to notice. Second, who cares?

Question though? Where were they designed to be used? Was there a design philosophy (theology?)? What was the purpose other than "we'll sell a million of them!"

Inquiring minds want to know!

[sarc]

Some ancient alien theorists say "yes".

The church of St. Hiram declares Baofengs "heresy".

Today with Joe Rogan, Ted Nugent "Baofengs are a second amendment right".

Terry Rakolta leads a campaign to eliminate Baofengs as a hazard to health, religion, and moral values.

Maxine Waters " This nation has struggled with how it was going to deal with Baofengs.. Every few years you will see some great change in the way that they approach this. We've had the war on CB radio that never really got into waging a real war on Baofengs."

Qrz.com starts another Baofeng thread due to exceed 500 posts before being locked due to political reference to toilet paper.

[/sarc]

Otherwise, who cares?

After listening to Unlicensed Jackasses on 2 meters for over 20 years locally Deer Hunting.I would be thrilled if all of them were Busted Fined,& Jailed for Violating Federal Law.I have Zero respect for them just like they have Zero respect for the law.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.