1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Antenna (apartment) suggestions

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by TheRATT, Aug 7, 2018.

1. TheRATT

TheRATT Monitoring the frequency.

Hello, good friends!

I just moved into a new apartment. I was in a ground floor (radio misery) but now am on a top floor with a small balcony.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion or two for an antenna set up. It would have to be semi-permanent, i.e. I could take 'er down if I attract the ire of some stuffy resident.

I was thinking affordable stuff like a full wave aluminum whip? I hear a lot of people suggest a fiberglass whip but the ones I've had have never been all that amazing. Of course, I've not owned a super nice one either.

Looking for mounting ideas as well as efficiency!

Thanks guys!

213 The Ratt
    Seattle

2. Mudduckmobile

Mudduckmobile Well-Known Member

Can you get on the roof or where can you see up at?

3. TheRATT

It is an apartment and I "can't" get up there. I'd probably not want to try. But an antenna mounted on the railing of my deck could possibly reach higher than the roof. I'll take another good look tonight.

4. Mudduckmobile

If you put the antenna on the apartment deck rail what would you be facing? N,S,E,W ?
    And how hight is it FROM your rail to the top of your apt. building?

5. TheRATT

Ah, the railing would be on the facing north by northwest and the railing at its furthest point would be about 6 feet away from the roof gutter/sliding door.

6. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Well-Known Member

There are lots of options but the best answer is - don't bother. Get a really kick ass setup in your car and just go sit out there and talk when you feel the need. In an apartment you will be able to listem but with most of the options you won't be able to talk more than a short distance most likely.

Apartment setups are a huge compromise in performance - I've tried multiple times and was always disappointed. Only one person I ever knew who had the perfect apartment setup - the manager let him put his antenna on the roof of the building - that guy had amazing performance.

7. TheRATT

Well, my last apartment I had my ½-wave vertical in a bucket at ground level and had decent contacts. I worked So Cal from Seattle even.

I think because I'm 400 ft above sea level that an antenna 40 feet up off that ground should do at least as good?

8. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Deck railing...wood or metal?... I had an Inverted V Dipole on PVC Pipe...so dipole was just above the railing...stretched corner to corner...3rd floor aprt...Worked Grt.
    During the day when anyone might see it, I would unclasp it lay it down on the deck.
    All the Best
    Gary

codeman likes this.
  9. Mudduckmobile

I am with Big Kahuna 100%. For a very long time I only ran mobile as my building did not let me put up any antennas.
    It's not that hard to get mobile. BOND EVERYTHING, and find a nice DX spot or sit out front of your place and have fun......
    Talk to your Prop. manger maybe you can put up a base antenna...?

10. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Throw a long wire up on top of the roof. :whistle:
    Or maybe the half wave in the bucket on your balcony.

TheRATT likes this.
  11. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

codeman likes this.
  12. TheRATT

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  13. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

put a wilson 1000 on the tin flashing that runs along the edge of the roof.

I've used a broomstick and some tape to get it to the right spot before.
    then a sharp twist to get the stick back

StrangeBrew and Mudduckmobile like this.
  14. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

https://www.lnrprecision.com/store/EF-11-p52657628

Remember, it is rated for 100 watts maximum. (y)

Some users simply hang it from their balcony.

15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg New Member

I know that this is of topic a little but I need some help with an antenna I'm thinking about building a 7/8 wave for 11 meter could someone be so kind to tell me how well it would work