• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Antenna HELP to much RF

KENWOOD570

Apr 5, 2007
San Lorenzo, Ca USA
Can anyone steer me in the direction of an antenna that will not come thru my neighbors cheap TV or computer speakers. I am running a kenwood,with out my amp on everything is ok but as soon as I turn on the amp they complain. I am running an Imax and I have heard they are not neighbor friendly. I would like to get a I-10k but the waiting list is too long. Any other suggestions? I have everything isolated from my house. My antenna is grounded to two 8' rods, and then another one by my well with 30 foot of solid copper wire running down into my well too! so I believe I have my ground covered. I need to get a new base antenna soon.

Thanks
Jerry

The job of the antenna is to transfer the radio energy into the air. Some antennas do this better than other antennas. Some antennas direct this energy low and into your neighbor's home.

The I-10K is an excellent choice. Stop making excuses and buy one; you will not be disappointed!

If you can't or won't buy an I-10K, get a Maco V58.

I'm surprised you mentioned the brand name of the radio but didn't mention the name of your amplifier. The fact that you only have problems when it is turned on kinda narrows the source of the problem down, don't you think?

Also, buy some quality coax! At a minimum, get LMR-400 or equivelent.

Your 30' ground wire is too long and acting like an antenna itself. All ground connections should be as short as possible. Its better to be hooked to a ground rod at the base of the antenna than at the bottom of a well. After all, our goal is to make connection to the ground......period......we don't care how deep.

I suspect you are running a solid state amplifier in the house. I could be wrong. If you are, sell it and use the money to buy a better antenna and coax!

Lastly, get a quality low pass filter:
http://www.iceradioproducts.com/filtersrf.html

first i would unhook all those extra grounds. (more than likely those grounds and your antenna mast are acting as part of your antenna.) then you need to isolate the antenna from your antenna mast. with a piece of wood or fibreglass. 4 foot shovel handle is what i used.
then you need to get a 1:1 balun or make and air choke.
if you dont have the ground plane kit. put the choke/balun about 10-12 foot down from the feedpoint. if you have the gp/kit put it right at the feedpoint.

the above worked for me. i also dont kill my usb mouse and keyboard anymore.

you can skip the above first if you want and try some toroid chokes from radio shack. on your nieghbors speakers.

your nieghbors speakers are non filterd more than likey and also have printed on them Part15 device and must accept all inferernce.

KENWOOD570 said:
My amp is an Xforce 6012HD
Ding ding ding ding, give that man a prize! If you want to eliminate your neighbor's problems, either get a quality tube amp or have this one gone through be someone QUALIFIED!!!!!

You are probably overdriving it with your Kenwood which will cause problems regardless!

Don't get caught up with in the numbers game!!! 200 watts of clean power is better than 300 watts of dirty power! Drop your drive power!

Xforce......somebody shoot me!

The biggest problem I have with your post is you think the problem is with the antenna!

Why oh why do MOST CBers spend HUGE bucks on CRAPPY equipment, yet skimp when it comes to their antenna and coax??!!??

"But dude, I'm so LOUD! FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR SQUISH! I'm stepping on your neck!" (Where is the emotocon with the guy eating his gun? Thats ME right now!)

Xforce......somebody shoot me! ...........class "C" pure dirt!

Why oh why do MOST CBers spend HUGE bucks on CRAPPY equipment, yet skimp when it comes to their antenna and coax??!!??

"But dude, I'm so LOUD! FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR SQUISH! I'm stepping on your neck!" (Where is the emotocon with the guy eating his gun? Thats ME right now!)

lmfao.....wondering what wrong with that nice kenwood radio only..

and as been said what coax you running..please dont say a 50' section of radioshack:p

Master Chief said:
KENWOOD570 said:
My amp is an Xforce 6012HD
Ding ding ding ding, give that man a prize! If you want to eliminate your neighbor's problems, either get a quality tube amp or have this one gone through be someone QUALIFIED!!!!!

You are probably overdriving it with your Kenwood which will cause problems regardless!

Don't get caught up with in the numbers game!!! 200 watts of clean power is better than 300 watts of dirty power! Drop your drive power!

Xforce......somebody shoot me!

The biggest problem I have with your post is you think the problem is with the antenna!

i think regardless of what freq or freqssssssss hes transmitting on. he would still come over those computer speakers at his nieghbors. just cuase hes tranmitting on multiple freqssss doesnt mean he should come over his nighbors speakers.

if his nieghbors speakers were filtered and shielded. then he probly would not come over them regardless of the amp used.

do what was sugested up top and your problems will go away.

Kenwood into a class C....not much hope to fix that.

I saw the Kenwood and thought...maybe you haven't checked your signal on a scope and you're way into the ALC. Then I saw the class C amp....there's no hope.

You could try putting up a proper RF ground. First, tie your station ground into your home ground, they should be bonded together.

Next, your station connection to your ground should not be any multiple of a wavelength of 27Mhz. Ideally you are under 1/4 wavelength in your station ground bus connection distance.

For an RF ground, you run a loooooong loop of say 6ga or heavier wire around your house, tied into the station surge ground rods. This may help if the main ground is also set up properly.

The bigger issue is the splatter of running a radio beyond a clean signal though, and that's exactly what "CB modulation" is, it's a dirty signal. If your audio sounds "loud" in CB terms, it's not a clean output signal...and you can't overcome that.

The amp is a class B not a C, I am not sure what that means and if someone can explain. I used to have a D&A tuber and it blead worse. This radio kicks, and I get nothing but great reports. I will try to mess around with the grounding. I know most of the problem is my neighbor is a cheap jerk and has crappy TV and all computer speaker are junk. The rest of my neighbors to the left of me and across the street have new Plasma tvs and use lap tops with no problems. Sounds like some feel the xforce is a peice of crap. I am just tring to learn I am in no way an expert and my ears are open for information :)

Thanks Much
Jerry

Oh, the Coax I got from a Local CB tech and he said it was the best out at the time when I put all this all together, about two years ago. I can only do what is recomended by the people that have made suggestions, becouse I am not an expert. That is why I made this post.

Jerry

Jerry,
Sorry, I think the problem is with the amplifier and how it's being driven. "If a little bit does good, then more is better!", is probably the most common cause of any interference. Next is a 'dirty' amplifier, which goes back to the first one.
M.C. has it right no matter what you may read or hear. Antennas do not cause interference. What is fed into them causes interference. If an antenna causes anything but complaints from the neighbors without it being fed something, you'd better hide that thing, it's worth a fortune!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

570 I find my setup is much cleaner with the x80 driving the amp than driving it with my radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.