• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna

I understand I got some scrap metal or I will look and see if I get small peice of sign post and turn it horizontal where I put a bolt in the mast and have enough room to put 2 or 3 lag bolts in the house. Would that work?

Is that a Shakespeare Big Stick antenna? I had one back in my early days of CBing. Really did like that antenna. Wish I had it now. I gave it away to a friend one day and I am pretty certain he doesn't have it anymore. I have a home brewed star duster now.

Yes it's the big stick. Working on getting it turned. I got a new belden coax and a swr/watt meter. It's talking awhile to tune it having to take it down every time I cut and have to put it back j up and test

I read awhile back the big stick has a matching coil in it. Hopefully that coil isn't giving you fits and trouble with the SWR. Where it is located and how it is made I don't know. I just read about it and some give out with age.

I put it last week and the swr was sitten over 3 I'm going to try to tune just to get me through till I get imax. But I don't know if it tune that much

I've got an old Radio Shack "Crossbow", which is just a Big Stick dyed in blue made by Shakespeare for Radio Shack a few decades ago. It is not the best performer, but mine is over 30 years old and has flat SWRs across the CB band. I also have the Shakespeare marine version, the176-1.

Careful not to run any power in them or you'll cook wimpy electronics that make up the tuning network.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.