• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

base noise

stingray

Dec 12, 2008
is there anything to lessen incoming ac noise on a base radio?
like adding a better/bigger filter (cap) on the input of the cord or coax?

Putting a cap on your antenna will change the tuned resonant length (makes it electrically 'shorter') - and therefore - your SWR/antenna length will need to be readjusted. The real question is: what is acceptable noise and is it a problem with my radio or my location? Or - is my antenna design being used inherently noisier? Static buildup, poor/no ground, neighbor using the blender or the clothes dryer? Noise can be introduced from many various sources; tracking them down can be difficult and somewhat elusive.

Do you have another radio to hook up and compare with? Some radios just have better recieve with less noise than others. Try an A/B test with two or three different radios. If they all fail the test, it would be fair to assume that it is being introduced into your house current. Try a car battery w/o a trickle charger - that would be pretty indicative of 110VAC line noise being introduced as 12V car batteries tend to be far quieter. You can also opt for a line/power conditioner; not the cheap little extension cord type - but the fully transformered unit. I have one.

If another radio recieves better and has less noise, that may be the way to go - too. If you are close to huge grid power wires, you may have to live with the situation. Squelching out the noise floor is also necessary, and when skip is in - ah forgetaboutit!
I do...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.