• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base station- how much coax is too much?

If you decide on LMR600, Times Microwave has some that is "watertight". It's LMR600-DB. Has a waterproofing compound around the foil/braid.
Just some food for thought. And the info I gave is straight from Times Microwave's page on the specs for LMR600 made by them. Here is a pic of the actual paragraph. Read line 2 left of page about center of page. Tells about all the different types of coax they make. Loss at 30mhz on 100 meters is not much either like the LDF4-50A. .4db at 30mhz for 100ft. So it would be a little lower at 27MHz. Again, just some more info. Good coax as well!! I am sure there are other companies that make this same type coax, probably for cheaper, so may want to look around. But I do know that Times Microwave coax is top notch!!
Anyways. Hope you get it all sorted. Have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_6483.PNG
    IMG_6483.PNG
    214.2 KB · Views: 3
I am finally getting ready to put up my tower and get a base antenna up in the air. I have chosen LMR-400 as my coax of choice, based on performance and cost factors.

I can put the Rohn 25G tower next to my house, using the standard concrete installation and a roof support bracket, but I really don't want to bolt anything to my house.

I have a Rohn self supported tower also, and the spot where I'd like to place it in my backyard would require a good 200' of coax (50' coming down the tower and 150' to get it in the house).

Is this 200' run of coax a bad idea? I have several buddies that are screaming about loss in the coax, but I always run with a little help watt-wise.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to consider the Lmr ultra flex. I also found the Lmr 240 to be a very good coax. I use it for jumpers. It's a bit cheaper in cost. If you're running 1500 and under the Lmr 240 will do the job. If I'd known how difficult the 400 was to work (not pliable) once behind the station I would've went with the 240 or 400 ultra flex (very costly). If your equipment is up against a wall you might need those angle connectors.if you go with the 400 non ultra flex. Good luck with your station. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.