• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bass audio on am????

Hi 359...Thanks for your reply.....Yours was most informative while the others beat around the bush with no answers.
I did find a old turner super side kick in my building.
Contacted old friend at M.I.T...Sent him mic to alter.
Thanks again!!!

I did find a old turner super side kick in my building.Contacted old friend at M.I.T...Sent him mic to alter.
Thanks again!!!
You know its more than just the mic right? That is what 359 are alluding to. If you want that big 50,000 watt Clear Channel audio you need way more then an altered mic. You need outboard processors, the radio need to be modded to bypass the limiters and have the audio injected into a different spot and you need a studio quality mic, which the SSK is not.

The SSK, while a very good mic, has a very narrow frequency response. It was designed for sideband communications and not AM. If my memory is correct most of the SSK's I heard on AM sounded muffled but again I have not heard one in probably 20 years.

Good luck in your endeavours, that big rocking AM audio can sound nice if done right. Oh by the way if you really want to do it right forget about using a modern radio and by an old tubed ham or 11 meter rig (Tram D201).

I do however find all of this a bit silly and not worth the effort. After all it's communitions not broadcasting.

Have fun....

I do however find all of this a bit silly and not worth the effort. After all it's communitions not broadcasting.
I think wearing headphones all day calling CQ to my radio is silly, but I don't keep reminding you :glare:

You had me on that one though, I was on the edge of my seat until the last sentence :LOL::tongue:

No, there's nothing wrong with improving a radio. It does require a little knowledge and thought to decide just how much 'improvement' is realistic. That's where the differences are...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
No, there's nothing wrong with improving a radio. It does require a little knowledge and thought to decide just how much 'improvement' is realistic. That's where the differences are...
- 'Doc
I agree with that. Some guys are pumping so much bass that it's almost like a contest to see who can pass the lowest frequencies, but it's not natural sounding imo.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.