• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bass audio on am????

Sp5it' pretty well has it. 'Tone' is a combination of the characteristics of the microphone and audio circuits of -each- radio. The 'standard' or 'average' isn't an exact thingy at all, there's always some variation in it. It's also determined by your receiver's audio circuit and your speaker. Lots of things play a part in 'tone'. And then you get into those 'EQ's! Oh man does that change things, and not always for the best. The best microphone and all the rest of those variable thingys will make you sound exactly like you do face to face. If that makes you sound 'ugly', then face it, you just sound 'ugly', whoo-pee. And since everybody's voice is different, the "correct" audio settings are going to be different for everyone.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
I just tried that 'googling'. There's so much misinterpretation, misinformation, and B.S., in most of the results that it's funny. I would suggest that it takes a little 'learning' before trying to explain any of this. Expecting 'broadcast quality' from a typical CB radio is silly. 'Broadcast' quality, or audio width, is not comparable between the two different services.
That unrealistic expectation isn't limited to CB radio at all, there's a bunch of it in the ham bands too.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
If you really want to go the whole rack gear, EQ, Heil mic, and hi fi mods I guess you can. You could also just let your cb set be what it was supposed to be and find a good desk mic that better matches up to your voice. That would be a simple less expensive way to improve your audio.

For every great sounding rack gear station you hear there are ten more that have a nasal mono tone drone sound to the audio. Yet they think it's great cause they spent 900 bucks on all their crap.

I notice a lot of base stations on am are transmitting their signal and have a lot of bass in my receive.
Is this just a matter of adding a eq to the mic.<More audio>
Thanks for any info.

The first thing you need to do is either change capacitors to broaden the audio bandwidth or completely bypass the audio amp circuit and direct inject it. A lot of that depends on the radio.

Then you'll need something like a large diaphragm mic with a flat response, a preamp, eq and effects processor. If you shop around on eBay you can have a setup for less than $200.

Don't get hung up on bass though, the wrong bass (low mids) can make you sound muddy. The goal is to sound natural, but "full".

Or for $200 you can buy an old Turner/Astatic desk mic and an echo board which is way more fatiguing to listen to.

Motor Mouth Moron certainly thinks so.
A lot of people seem to be jealous of him, but he just has a passion for quality AM radio. Sometimes he sounds grand, sometimes he sounds a little "over processed", sometimes he sounds like he's being a little bit braggart, but he seems to always be having fun and he don't bleed the band.

A lot of people seem to be jealous of him, but he just has a passion for quality AM radio. Sometimes he sounds grand, sometimes he sounds a little "over processed", sometimes he sounds like he's being a little bit braggart, but he seems to always be having fun and he don't bleed the band.
He lives in the 60s and 70s with he audio. I don't either dislike or like it. I worked in broadcasting in the 80's, small AM station and two fm ones. At the am station I was also the assistant engineer and when we switched to an "oldies" format I tweeked the station to sound like the big guns here at the time WLS and WCFL. Compression and just a smidgen of echo. All we needed was the Wolfman...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.