• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBT Delivered Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 Today

And The tree problem.

IMG_3645.jpg

Hay thanks for posting photos! Look like the main matching network has more open hoops by compared to the original (see photo below) maybe the new ones have a more band with??? Looks nice.

Attachments

• matching 1.jpg
    matching 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 23
the bottom insulater is a little diferent because the screw comes out the other side and the shape of the big hoop match is a little diferent but almost the same. i bet they work the samre. it looks like the square plates that hold on the radial tubes is thiiner and bent diferent. i wonder what alumimum they use if its the same wall thickness

11 meter antenna

If anyone commented on this and i missed it, sorry. I find it interesting it says "citizens band antenna " on the box and paperwork. can aluminum antennas be sold that way nowadays? and only ONE mounting screw for the radials? they should have used the original 2.

I think the aluminum is cheaper then I recall my original to be constructed from. Those radial hubs are different and I don't think the top of the telescopic sections were swaged to reduce the diameter of the next tube either.

Seems that I remember the swagged sections for the HyGain antennas were on the top of the elements and were not inserted into a larger size tube at the bottoms. I think the new one is very close to the same as the original one.

I appreciate that this antenna shows excellent symmetry of design.

definitely not the same, swaged at the joints, originals were just slip joints, the plate that holds the radials has squared bends, original was rounded, and looked heavier.

weaker? Stronger? Who knows, tech has changed since the originals so only time will tell..

20 years ago my used penetrater had swaged tubes, im sure they all did but it did have to bolts not one on the radial plates

definitely not the same, swaged at the joints, originals were just slip joints, the plate that holds the radials has squared bends, original was rounded, and looked heavier.

weaker? Stronger? Who knows, tech has changed since the originals so only time will tell..

The old ones were swagged i have one laying together in my backyard, only difference I see maybe the radial plate. Seems still to be alot stronger aluminum than the Sirio line.

The old ones were swagged i have one laying together in my backyard, only difference I see maybe the radial plate. Seems still to be alot stronger aluminum than the Sirio line.

Of the three I bought new from Olson electronics in about 75, none had swaged connections, all were straight, and had a slot cut, one we put up for a buddy slid inside itself and had to be redone. Same with a couple I purchased and took down in the late 80s.

Not saying yours is not, just saying of the ones I've seen and owned none were.

Of the three I bought new from Olson electronics in about 75, none had swagged connections, all were straight, and had a slot cut, one we put up for a buddy slid inside itself and had to be redone. Same with a couple I purchased and took down in the late 80s.

Not saying yours is not, just saying of the ones I've seen and owned none were.

Here is a link to a CBTricks ads that are dated for the several old HyGain Penetrator and the CLR2 version as well as the Radio Shack model built by HyGain and they use swagged tubing in the older models for sure, just read the text. Hy-gain Model 500 "Penetrator 500" There were some changes in the 80's when the 40 channels came out so maybe you had a later model and not a 75 model.

I think, if you check out some other antennas that HyGain has built over time you will see that they almost always use swagging some where in the construction. I have one of their old Long John 5 element beam antennas and it too uses swagged tubing in the elements and the boom.

Sometimes you can't get the real story just looking at the pictures.

Do you have anything we could see that supports your claim?

Last edited:
I have been waiting patiently for someone to notice and point out the one major problem with the antenna.

Look at the label on the end of the box in the 1st picture. It clearly states "Citizens Band Antenna"

Aluminum antennas for "CB" use were "outlawed" due to all of the morons that got themselves electrocuted while either erecting or taking down their antennas.

Wonder when this will be caught and the antenna will disappear overnight? :D

I have been waiting patiently for someone to notice and point out the one major problem with the antenna.

Look at the label on the end of the box in the 1st picture. It clearly states "Citizens Band Antenna"

Aluminum antennas for "CB" use were "outlawed" due to all of the morons that got themselves electrocuted while either erecting or taking down their antennas.

Wonder when this will be caught and the antenna will disappear overnight? :D

i posted about the description also. all they will do is change the label, not discontinue it.

Can you post the part numbers that hygain is using for the matching gamma parts? I have an original 500 that I need to replace the matching network on. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated