• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBT Delivered Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 Today

The directions say 19 feet over all but I am not sure what frequency that is resonant for. They should have more info with the directions on what length is needed for different frequencies.

I assume they provide the tubing long enough to resonate on the CB. According to my 5/8ths vertical calculator, the length for resonance at 28.8 will be 20' 4". YMMV, depending on on the feed system. I will be using my trusty MFJ 259B to set the length correctly.

What would your calculator show for 28 mhz. I figure if I set it up for that length it should work ok for 10 and 11 meters. Maybe around 20 feet?

What would your calculator show for 28 mhz. I figure if I set it up for that length it should work ok for 10 and 11 meters. Maybe around 20 feet?

984 \ 28 (MHz) x .625 (wl) = 21 ft 11 1/2 inches . VF not included

Were does HYgain get 19 foot on the instructions? That must be a mistake or 12 meters use? They say 10 and 12 meters on the instructions.

Were does HYgain get 19 foot on the instructions? That must be a mistake or 12 meters use? They say 10 and 12 meters on the instructions.

it is a difficult question...i think they are covering their liability as far as producing a metal cb antennna here, but then they put a cb label on the box! who knows, enjoy it and be careful with install. no offense meant

here are original instructions for cb if you want to go that route http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/hygain/model_500/graphics/hy-gain_500_penetrator_1975_early.pdf
(end up with about 22'10")

or use bm's numbers to center it more for 10 and 11 meters

I talked to them on the phone just a few minutes ago and they could not tell me were they came up with 19 feet. He said he thought it was for the 10 meter phone area of the band at 28.3 to 28.5 but was not for sure. I mentioned that the old cb antenna was almost 23 feet in length and he got defensive about it saying it was not a cb antenna.

it is a touchy area, which is why i did not suggest calling, i did not figure you would get an answer. i spoke to tom before and he made sure I understood it was for 10 meters
;)

just tweak it for what you need, they just covering their liability.

IMO, this Hy-Gain antenna kit and the instructions were always designed to be constructed as fixed-tuned with no tuning instructions included. Hy-Gain either physically marked all the tubing elements and/or indicated in the manual how the exposed lengths for each tube was to be set.

If the parts are pretty close to those in the older kits, then I would use the measurements in the latest old manual for 27 mhz and forget about the reasons and the signage. Common sense should tell us that 19' feet is NOT correct for this particular styled antenna at 27 mhz, and is closer to 10 meters. If there are legal issues involved in any product, it is normal to be careful, and that too...is a good reason to NOT include any tuning instructions in the paperwork.

If you want to tune it for a different frequency, then you're on you own as to adjustments. A little math, and some "trial an error" should get you close.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated