1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Beam Suggestions

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Flying J, May 4, 2021.

1. Flying J

Flying J Member

Looking for best bang for the buck in directional antennas. $800 budget. I have a 40’ Rohn tower on hinge plate. Have a rotor & coax as well. Always heard great things about Jo Gunn. Now I understand the outfit has changed hands. I’m not really brand specific just wanting a solid unit that holds up against the elements. More concerned with talking skip than ground wave. Would love to hear from the ones who’ve been there & done that.

Thanks In Advance
    Jay

2. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

Single or dual polarization?

3. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Well-Known Member

Cant beat a 4 element Lightning Quad its dual polarized and in your price range not a huge heavy antenna but works great

TIN_CAN likes this.
  4. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Maco 103 horizontal...

Flying J likes this.
  5. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

5 element Yagi on 9m boom. Horizontal.
    Mike

DXman, Flying J and Mudfoot like this.
  6. Flying J

Flying J Member

Single will be my cheapest route for what I’m trying to accomplish. In the long run I’m sure I’ll wish I went with a dual set up. I’ve been researching a lot & found some DIY setups that are amazing rigs. Thanks for the quick reply

7. Flying J

Flying J Member

I’ve looked at Lightnings web page a lot over the last couple days. Good looking stuff. I’m kinda leaning towards going with a flat side setup. My hopes are I can get a flat 8 rig for the same coin as the dual 4 element. I’m finding some good builders out there. Any & all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks for the quick reply.

8. The20poundhammer

Who is building a flat 8 for under 800 besides Maco??

9. Flying J

Flying J Member

I’ve had no luck finding a flat 8 within my budget so far. I’ll look at the Maco. The Yagi as well.
    Jo Gunn’s flat 8 is a little out of budget. Here is a good place to ask, will a well designed flat 8 mop the floor with a well designed flat 6? I notice Jo Gunn catches a lot of heat with close they arrange the elements. I’m pretty much in the dark on base setups. I come from the mobile side of cb’ing.
    A beefed up electrical system
    Galaxy/Connex radio
    A healthy Texas Star
    &
    A 102” whip was a solid & simple rig.
    Base antennas are ultra complex by comparison. I see the diy guys on YouTube going to extreme lengths to gain an advantage. At 52 I’m not looking to win a super bowl lol but would like to really reach out there. If I could talk to the West Coast I’d be tickled. I ask for patience from you all. I’m learning as I go.
    Thanks.
    Jay

Slowmover likes this.
  10. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

Best bang for your buck... 5 element beam

DXman, sp5it and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  11. Flying J

Flying J Member

Hey Dave,
    Any particular brands you prefer?
    Thanks for the reply

Jay

12. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

13. Ranch55

Ranch55 Sr. Member

I like the looks of that antenna.....

14. The20poundhammer

I will second the Mosley antenna. They are very well built and you can get one either direct fed or a matching deal. The Jogunn is a good antenna built like a tank. I had a Star series 5 element a while back it was a good antenna but my 4 element quad beat it hands down.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  15. twa77

twa77 Active Member

If I had that setup I would go with at least a 4 element yagi or quad. Take your pick a lot of good ones mentioned.

#15 twa77, May 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    Wire Weasel likes this.