• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bearcat 980 developed a problem

The power switch fused itself in the closed position.
The 980 switches all of the lower current circuits via the on/off switch.
If the power switch is stuck closed it will stay on, appear to receive and will even transmit but you won't hear anyone because the volume wiper is still set to minimum.

If your guy can't get the on/off volume assembly I might be able to put you in contact with someone that can get you one.
ok hey thanks. He has a radio in need of repair.he tried his switch ,it works fine.but if we hit a snag i will ask for that person to get 1.thank you again

If the power switch is stuck closed it will stay on, appear to receive and will even transmit but you won't hear anyone because the volume wiper is still set to minimum.

If your guy can't get the on/off volume assembly I might be able to put you in contact with someone that can get you one.

Thanks - now it makes sense. Off the contact on the wiper arm - as in all the way off full stop.

Reactions: Rwb
I dont think i was screwed in the trade.id say switch failed. Im not unhapy with who ibtraded with or the radio.. Now if it had been maxed out n burned up id be a tad unhappy as under that condition id say the other pary got rid of it before it self destructed

The power switch fused itself in the closed position.
The 980 switches all of the lower current circuits via the on/off switch.

just noticed you joined about same time as me almost same amount of likes and posts

No idea if that's a good thing or bad.
Never paid much attention to those sorts of things.

I am mostly full of useless information. :)
dont feel lonely .my info is scetchy too

Some more useless info :)

It's a 50k/5k dual ganged and flatted control with SPST switch made by CTR.
I wonder if a similar replacement is available. Will have a look around.

Some more useless info :)

It's a 50k/5k dual ganged and flatted control with SPST switch made by CTR.
I wonder if a similar replacement is available. Will have a look around.
ebay has them for 880 but not 980

Yes
This?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDEN-BRVG1052001-BC880-REPLACEMENT-RF-GAIN-CONTROL/253773060063

The image is clearly of the Volume/Squelch control

This:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDEN-BRVG1057001-BC880-REPLACEMENT-VOLUME-SQUELCH-CONTROL/283069834195

Is clearly the RF gain control.

That said, I can't find my 880. It's here someplace.
It may very well be the exact same control. $20 is a bit steep but considering the alternatives.....
very true need to open n look some more at the switch

Martian, handy andy i fixed it.
Put it in my pickup n was thinkin take knob off so i pulled the on off volume knob off.took my pliers n pulled firm on switch shaft and snapped it on n off several times.all of a sudden it snapped diffrently.,connected power n it shuts off like its supposed to do.i unhooked power at the wire splice no spark like when its in the on position. Time will tell.hoping my floor hump mount comes in tomorrow so i can finish it up.

Oh gees, well at least you didn't have to do Plan B...

Plan B?

As I read this - I was hoping you didn't have to back up and pull forward over it a few times....
rwbsponsored.jpg
Glad to know that first option worked - wild!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.