• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bearcat 980 developed a problem

Thank you for keeping the patient alive...

Threatening it with surgery (open heart or otherwise) while its powered - has been known to blow fuses...

Never thought it could apply to power switches too...

Reactions: Rwb
Y
Thank you for keeping the patient alive...

Threatening it with surgery (open heart or otherwise) while its powered - has been known to blow fuses...

Never thought it could apply to power switches too...
es was odd how it popped n went to working ok

Usually I can fillde with stuff and get it to do something. Luckily the something you got was what you wanted. And if it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is. LOL Good job, go easy on it when you turn it on and off now. It might be on it's last leg.
think the wiper spring jumped out of place.it now has a crisp positive SNAP when turning on or off.im liking it more n more.talked to a friend on 38 lsb 50 miles apart while mobile using my wilson lil will.swr is showing 1:1 on 1 and 1:0 on 20 and 1:2 on 1.he said signal was low but voice was loud n clear it faded out in the 2 valleys on my way to town otherwise its working great

Reactions: S&W357
That's good to hear.
I knew the 980 was a solid radio.
It's shunned because it doesn't have extra channels or a built in amplifier like the Stryker or Anytone radios do.

If all you want to do is talk on SSB in the 40 channels it's a solid radio.
Absolutely nothing else is needed.
If you want more punch one of those little 60 watt amplifiers that RM Italy makes is a good companion, too. As long as you don't cut/swap resistors in them or drive them stupidly it's a great pair for the price.

Reactions: StrangeBrew and Rwb
That's good to hear.
I knew the 980 was a solid radio.
It's shunned because it doesn't have extra channels or a built in amplifier like the Stryker or Anytone radios do.

If all you want to do is talk on SSB in the 40 channels it's a solid radio.
Absolutely nothing else is needed.
If you want more punch one of those little 60 watt amplifiers that RM Italy makes is a good companion, too. As long as you don't cut/swap resistors in them or drive them stupidly it's a great pair for the price.
naa burned alternators up with amplifiers in big trucks.its doing great as it is.suits me fine as it is.if i need more punch got my delta force n 99v both are kick8n pretty stout

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.