• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bearcat 980 SSB variable power mod

FWIW, I’ve been driving the same RM ITALY KL203 with 880, 885 and now a 980 Uniden. Unopened.

Not disagreeing with anyone who wants to lower power. I’m adding this for the inexperienced like myself

It’s the advantage of avoiding CB techs makes dead stock gear viable with these radios and a little amp (70W give or take). As a truck driver it’s called: order online. Get home and rig it up. Grab a gear.

Put time and effort towards mobile antenna. Count hairs on head first.

"Ditto"

Reactions: Slowmover
FWIW, I’ve been driving the same RM ITALY KL203 with 880, 885 and now a 980 Uniden. Unopened.

Not disagreeing with anyone who wants to lower power. I’m adding this for the inexperienced like myself

It’s the advantage of avoiding CB techs makes dead stock gear viable with these radios and a little amp (70W give or take). As a truck driver it’s called: order online. Get home and rig it up. Grab a gear.

Put time and effort towards mobile antenna. Count hairs on head first.

Hi Slowmover,

I recently bought and installed a Uniden BearTracker 885 CB/Scanner hybrid. I just wanted to make sure you were referring to the same radio. I just bought a KL 203P amp and want to make sure I am not going to burn it up by connecting the stock BearTracker 885 radio to it.

Thanks!

BlackBeltRizen

Reactions: Slowmover
Hi Slowmover,

I recently bought and installed a Uniden BearTracker 885 CB/Scanner hybrid. I just wanted to make sure you were referring to the same radio. I just bought a KL 203P amp and want to make sure I am not going to burn it up by connecting the stock BearTracker 885 radio to it.

Thanks!

BlackBeltRizen

My assumption is that none of these radios of mine cited are turned up to exactly 4W and are thus pretty much inside the 5-10W maximum. (None of these have been gone over by a tech; buy them and use them is what I’ve done). Factory may leave them below 4W.

Obviously I can’t guarantee anyone’s results, but I’ve used those radios with both a standard 203 and a -p model without concern.

I did make sure beforehand that SWR was low (1.4:1 or lower from CH 1-40) and that power was good (upgraded wire size on the 203p model; or bypassed factory truck 15A circuit to run my own).

Jumpers have been DX-E 2-3’ RG-58 spec.

Since I started their use I also add either a Palomar Engineer CMNF-500 filter or several snap-on ferrite toroids (Mix 31 & 61). While these ostensibly wouldn’t come into question, they ARE present.

I don’t run the factory mic, but one of several NC mics (some power, some not).

I’ve only ever used these in a mobile installation.

Can’t think of anything else. My experience makes me confident to advise others to try it. (There’s no reason not to turn it down to lower DK when proper tool acquired).

My 885 ran warmer than the others. Almost, but not quite “hot”. Lots happening inside that case. I felt the receiver was a bit better than the 880 & 980 on AM. May have been wishful thinking, but as a QC item on an expensive little mobile it may have been checked more carefully.

Good luck! Yes, you will get heard.

P.S. I always recommend a WMR DSP Speaker. In the case of the 885, I strongly recommend the external be a KES-5 versus the truckstop alternatives. If satisfied, remember that a variable DSP will have you re-adjusting Scanner vs AM CB audio to suit, so work with speaker placement to be inside sound field (from overhead) before proceeding on up in speaker capability. (I detailed this more about the 885 in another thread).

Last edited:
Noob here so thanks all for any helpful advice. As an enthusiast remembering my old man in the 80s with his CB, I finally have time in retirement to gear one up in my Expedition. Bearcat 980 SSB with a Browning BR-91-BL 15000-watt flat coil. I feel I have a good set up. Set my SWR up with an external meter. Reading close to 1 across CH1,CH20 and CH40. I am loving the fact that I am catching chatter form all over on upper and lower. AM spectrum has felt surprisingly empty. Finally got me a brief radio check confirmation on the road on day 2 via AM channel 19. However, I feel like it should not have taken that long for me to get a response. I am sure there is plenty of advice for me in that regard. I do happen to have an Italy KL503 that dropped into my lap before I bought the Bearcat 980. Without damaging the amp or the radio is it possible to marry these two devices to increase my output signal? Would love to be able to be heard by the SSB operators I am receiving. Thank you again. 73

Noob here so thanks all for any helpful advice. As an enthusiast remembering my old man in the 80s with his CB, I finally have time in retirement to gear one up in my Expedition. Bearcat 980 SSB with a Browning BR-91-BL 15000-watt flat coil. I feel I have a good set up. Set my SWR up with an external meter. Reading close to 1 across CH1,CH20 and CH40. I am loving the fact that I am catching chatter form all over on upper and lower. AM spectrum has felt surprisingly empty. Finally got me a brief radio check confirmation on the road on day 2 via AM channel 19. However, I feel like it should not have taken that long for me to get a response. I am sure there is plenty of advice for me in that regard. I do happen to have an Italy KL503 that dropped into my lap before I bought the Bearcat 980. Without damaging the amp or the radio is it possible to marry these two devices to increase my output signal? Would love to be able to be heard by the SSB operators I am receiving. Thank you again. 73

Should run just fine with 503 . Just make sure to flip the ssb switch when on ssb. Check SWR when you have all hooked up.

Reactions: S&W357
Should run just fine with 503 . Just make sure to flip the ssb switch when on ssb. Check SWR when you have all hooked up.
That's actually the best answer I could have received! I was anticipating a much more involved process/solution. Much appreciated CB590 !

Haven’t read this entire thread but don’t believe this video has been posted. It shows the AM Power adjustment location at about the 5:20 mark in the video. I’ve used this on two 980’s to lower dead key to 2 watts and worked perfectly.

Figure you stock radio is doing probably 4w/10w and not 5/12w. 1-5/5-13 or so is the rating for most of the KM series amps. I had a 203 and it ran great with my 980.

13 or so is the rating for most of the KM series amps. I had a 203 and it ran great with my 980.
Its definitely stock right out of the box. Much appreciated.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.