1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Bearcat 980 SSB variable power mod

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by DeedleD, Feb 11, 2019.

1. DeedleD

DeedleD New Member

Does anyone know if a variable power mod exists for the 980 SSB?

2. 711

711 Active Member

Besides the AM carrier pot

3. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

It's already a low powered radio, what are you trying to do? Like 711 stated, there should be an AM carrier VR pot as well as a SSB power VR pot. You should be able to set it up to match a small amplifier the way it is.

DeedleD likes this.
  4. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

here is the locations for the VR's to adjust dead key and mod
    RT203 SSB ALC
    RT205 AM AMC
    RT206 AM POWER.

be very careful turning these little VR's. they break very easy. you break one and trying to find one and solder it back in place is very hard to do.

#4 sonoma, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    DeedleD likes this.
  5. DeedleD

DeedleD New Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I should have been more clear, the radio I have has been equipped with a “stinger” mod which yields around 120W PEP so I’m trying to find a way to turn the power down, there is no button to turn the stinger off. Thanks!

6. 711

711 Active Member

Lowering the AM pot effectively lowers over all power unless you NPC mod it.

DeedleD likes this.
  7. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

Maybe look up the wiring and see which one is power wire and install a switch on the back or side..

DeedleD likes this.
  8. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

what stinger board is in it. most have 2 wires to turn it off. as mentioned you can lower the radios dead key to turn it down also.if it is the ad-203 from RM it has 2 wires to turn it off.

DeedleD likes this.
  9. DeedleD

DeedleD New Member

Thanks for the replies! I believe it's RM Italy AD-203 stinger board so it should be fairly easy to just add a switch and call it a day I suppose instead of messing with variable power.